Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After weeks of torture we finally got our registered relationship certificate from QLD, however in the marital status box it says we are both 'single'. Is this right? When we filled in the form it says to choose from 'married' 'divorced' 'widowed' 'registered relationship (terminated)'

A friend of mine has one from QLD government that say defacto in the marital status so I contacted them and just received this response:

"A status of "Defacto" is not a relationship status recognised under the Registered Relationships law so in this regard we are unable to change it for you."

I just don't want to send in a form with my application that states by law that we are both single when the sole purpose of the application is to prove we are in a defacto relationship! Haha!

Any insight would be highly appreciated! I looked at the Vic forms and they have a defacto check box for marital status so this seems to only apply to QLD.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
A Registered Relationship in QLD appears to be the registration to show you are a "Defacto".

Therefore, you were single, but are now registered defacto, after registering.

The form for Melbourne, Victoria only gets you to confirm: We [Partner 1 ] and [Partner 2] declare that we are partners.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
You are two single people in a registered relationship. Maybe QLD like to keep it as simple as that.

I've never seen a Registered Relationship certificate.

I did just look at some marriage certificates though, and they state Bachelor and Spinster (an unmarried woman)...

The more I look into this, I see it allows government departments and the law to to treat people as if married, in many ways, both good and bad...

· Registered
7,406 Posts
What Visa ?

· Premium Member
5,249 Posts
I think the state BDMs indicate the status at the time you are registering, because my marriage certificate says my husband and I are both divorced. So because you weren't already in a registered relationship at the time you registered, you were single.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.