Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My wife is currently on a visitors visa. We have applied for an 820 partner visa and our bridging visa A has been granted but has not come into effect yet. We are waiting for the visitors visa to to finish its 3 month course until it switches to the BVA.

My question is: Are we able to apply for the BVB now so that when the visitors visa finishes up its 3 month course it will switch straight to the BVB instead of the BVA?

We are planning on attending a close friends 30th birthday in Greece.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
When to apply

You should apply for your BVB no more than three months, and not less than two weeks, before the date on which you want to travel.

Some visas can only be granted while you are in Australia. If you apply for a BVB too far in advance of your travel, it could be difficult for us to assess whether your substantive visa will be ready for decision.

If you leave it until the last minute to apply for a BVB, you risk not being granted a BVB before you are due to leave Australia. If this happens, you might not hold a visa that allows you to return to Australia. You would then have to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you could return to Australia. There is no guarantee that you would be granted a visa.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/020-

Note also that Bridging Visa B travel facility starts on the day it is granted, not the day of departure, so do not apply too long in advance or you may end up with insuffiecient travel time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When to apply

You should apply for your BVB no more than three months, and not less than two weeks, before the date on which you want to travel.

Some visas can only be granted while you are in Australia. If you apply for a BVB too far in advance of your travel, it could be difficult for us to assess whether your substantive visa will be ready for decision.

If you leave it until the last minute to apply for a BVB, you risk not being granted a BVB before you are due to leave Australia. If this happens, you might not hold a visa that allows you to return to Australia. You would then have to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you could return to Australia. There is no guarantee that you would be granted a visa.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/020-

Note also that Bridging Visa B travel facility starts on the day it is granted, not the day of departure, so do not apply too long in advance or you may end up with insuffiecient travel time.
Hi Nick
Thanks for that information. Am I able to apply for the BVB now so that when my wife's visitors visa ceases, it will switch straight to the BVB rather than the BVA?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Yes, you can, but as pointed out in my previous post, you should not apply too long in advance. They may not grant one anyway until a few days before departure time. If it is granted too early the travel facility may expire before you are able to return.

Reactions: utsc
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.