Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in a defacto relationship with my partner who is from Australia. We met in September 2009 in Canada while she was there on a work visa, and have been together since. In March of 2011, her second visa application came back denied, and we had to pack up everything and leave Canada to Australia in 2 weeks notice. Luckily I was able to get a Working Holliday Visa for Australia. I've been here for 2 months, and we have decided to go for the Partner Visa. We know we want to be together, and we want to start a life with a family of our own so we decided to go ahead with this Visa.

My concerns are, in the Visa Application there is a question that asks if I have been involved with anyone being in a country illegally. And my answer unfortunately is yes. When I was 18, my ex gf was living with me in Canada after her second visitor visa expired. She got caught in Canada about 4 months after it expired, and got removed. We were married in January and she got deported in the end of April. We have not seen each other since this was in the beginning of 2008. I have recently filled for divorce with my ex and I'm in the process. I am very worried that because of my past it's going to interfere with my Visa Application for Australia with my current partner.

Will it effect my chance of getting accepted? Should I write in the box that I was involved with someone being in a country when they weren't aloud? Or should I say I didn't? Or will they know?

I'm in limbo, I think honesty is the best way. I just want to be with my partner, and it sucks I was stupid when I was younger.

Any indication will help. Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only you and your current partner are subject of the question in form 47SP relating to immigration breaches of a country. Not any ex partner of yours.

I imagine your biggest hurdle will be getting divorced in time.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi,

I think the question your are talking about on the 47sp (Q80) is related to you and any of your dependents (such as children), and has nothing to do with what happened to your ex. So, I don't think there is any need to mention it in your application.

As for being legally married and in a de facto relationship, it's not a huge problem. You have to show that you are comitted to the current relationship and that you have no comittment to your ex.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.