Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all,

Just wanted to say hi, and hope I may be welcome to your forum.
I live in Perth, Western Australia, and my wife is from Virginia, USA.
We went through the immigration process for her in 2006 so she could be here.
I have learned so much from these sites in the past , and hope I am able to contribute some in return and in appreciation.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Gday all,

Just wanted to say hi, and hope I may be welcome to your forum.
I live in Perth, Western Australia, and my wife is from Virginia, USA.
We went through the immigration process for her in 2006 so she could be here.
I have learned so much from these sites in the past , and hope I am able to contribute some in return and in appreciation.

Cheers,
Adrian
Welcome tp the forum Adrian and hope your wife is settling in to likely sunnier and drier WA weather and life is good over there.
Feel free to contribute as much as you like to any sections of the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Wanderer for your welcome.
Yes, Carla is settling in here well. After almost 4 years her accent is changing and catch her saying tomatoes and bathtub in the Australian phonetically spoken way (tomarto , barthtub) and lately says news and tune instead of noos and toone. Having said that, I am using some of her sayings like "The whole nine yards". All good fun. She has her permanent residency and is keen to gain her Aussie citizenship. She wont be retaining her US one though as she says she is not visiting, but staying here.

cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Thankyou Wanderer for your welcome.
Yes, Carla is settling in here well. After almost 4 years her accent is changing and catch her saying tomatoes and bathtub in the Australian phonetically spoken way (tomarto , barthtub) and lately says news and tune instead of noos and toone. Having said that, I am using some of her sayings like "The whole nine yards". All good fun. She has her permanent residency and is keen to gain her Aussie citizenship. She wont be retaining her US one though as she says she is not visiting, but staying here.

cheers,
Adrian
All sounds good Adrian, though if it does not cost her to keep her US citizenship or even if it is a little, why not do so for it could come in handy re visits back there.
My wife has retained something of an accent and still often gets asked if she is enjoying a holiday in Australia after 15 years or so, and then working at a medical clinic there'll be patients with obvious European names that she gets to call and they do not respond probably because of her European pronounciation, all a bit different to the US again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All sounds good Adrian, though if it does not cost her to keep her US citizenship or even if it is a little, why not do so for it could come in handy re visits back there.
My wife has retained something of an accent and still often gets asked if she is enjoying a holiday in Australia after 15 years or so, and then working at a medical clinic there'll be patients with obvious European names that she gets to call and they do not respond probably because of her European pronounciation, all a bit different to the US again.
Oh yes, you are right there, especially having her US citizenship for car hire on holidays there to see her adult children. But she gets so enthused about being here and wants to be so dinky-di. I love her so much for that, but then she comes around to the more practical side and we talk about keeping a dual passport.
Had a chuckle about the holiday remark and can understand about the pronunciations. I can empathise some as my wife is a nurse, and can imagine her trying to call out patient names here with her accent. She gets asked if she is Canadian a lot as soon as she speaks. Luckily she works at home with me in our business, and misses out on that particular pleasure.

Cheers,
Adrian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.