Australia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all immigration gurus

My wife's sister's husband is planning to study in Australia commencing mid-2018.

The 500 visa application asks for evidence of school enrollment.
However, my wife's sister is planning to homeschool their children, aged 13, 10 and 6.

I am in close contact with a community of homeschoolers, so there would be abundant support and resources for them.
Is there any way to show Home Affairs that the children will receive a sound education?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I am sure there is a way, I don't know it.

One of my old customers home schools all his and her kids & received a subsidy for a nanny/teachers helper wage.

So it is in the system you just need to find id and make the staff you speak to aware - a bit like Medicare on a Visitor Visa.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure there is a way, I don't know it.

One of my old customers home schools all his and her kids & received a subsidy for a nanny/teachers helper wage.

So it is in the system you just need to find id and make the staff you speak to aware - a bit like Medicare on a Visitor Visa.
Thank you ampk

You've helped me again.
Now we just have to dig and find the info that would help us. :)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Yep, did not remember your name sorry. But it is the dig to find it & will be the home school area to start to find it, then prove that to Immigration.

I can see that's going to be a bit of work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all immigration gurus

My wife's sister's husband is planning to study in Australia commencing mid-2018.

The 500 visa application asks for evidence of school enrollment.
However, my wife's sister is planning to homeschool their children, aged 13, 10 and 6.

I am in close contact with a community of homeschoolers, so there would be abundant support and resources for them.
Is there any way to show Home Affairs that the children will receive a sound education?
Hi there , interested to know if you found out anything about homeschooling your dependent child ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there , interested to know if you found out anything about homeschooling your dependent child ?
Hi SSUB

Yes. DHA will require that your child/children are registered with your state's home education unit (HEU).
We're not out of the woods yet though.
Our Queensland HEU won't register the children until they're in Australia.
We've submitted a registration application with HEU and now waiting on a response.
The HEU can provide a provisional registration. We need provisional registration until the family is in Australia.

It's a Catch 22 situation, so as yet, we don't know the outcome.
We may know tomorrow.

Philip

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow came and HEU replied that they will not register the children, unless they are resident in Australia.

Now we don't know where that leaves my wifes' family.
We sent HEU's reply to DHA.

Now we find out what they will do about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Phillip , did you manage to sort out the homeschool situation . I was told by the Vic authority for registration of homeschooling that you do need to have an Australian address in order to register. The HEU would need the address and learning plan and if satisfied, will approve. Did DHA tell you that homeschooling will be acceptable school arrangements?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the beginning, it was an overwhelming experience with homeschooling. One year ago, we moved with our family from Florida, to New South Wales. My hubby and I took this decision because he had a good offer at work. So, we have to figure out what we are doing next and what we are doing with our three kids. Who is gonna work and who is gonna stay home. The tough part was the kids' adaptation. They were somehow forced to quit their education at kidcityusa.com and find enough power to move and get used to a new reality. I don't know if we made a wise decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts