Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody , first things first good websites . Lot's of great content to read and learn from here.

I'm an Australian citizen by descent and hold an Australian Passport and a certificate showing that I'm an Australian citizen by descent. My issue is that , I have been living in Europe all my life and went to Australia for holidays.

I have a partner (not married )whom I want to sponsor and have been with for 4 years now and we have a lovely son together who is 7 months old at the moment.

For the partner I can apply for the Visa 309/100 and for our son the Child Visa101.

Do we apply for both at the same time ?
Would I be able to sponsor 2 persons ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
You don't need a Child Visa for your son - if he's your son he'll be eligible for Citizenship and will not qualify for a visa. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Can you sponsor your partner and your child yes.

I don't know enough about the citizenship by decent process but I would be asking if you are an Australian citizen could you not apply for citizenship by decent for the child as well?

If so I seem to remember seeing somewhere to get the citizenship for the child prior to lodging the partner visa - its makes the partner visa cheaper and less messy I believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mania

Thanks for your reply , Unfortunately I have been lurking on their official website , and turns out for our son to gain citizenship by descent , I need to spend 2 years In Australia prior applying for him .

Also whilst applying for the partner visa their is an option for adding children and filling form 1436. I don't know if that helps to bring him over and eliminating the process of applying a visa for him

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need a Child Visa for your son - if he's your son he'll be eligible for Citizenship and will not qualify for a visa. :)
Taken from home affair.gov.au "If your Australian citizen parent became an Australian citizen by descent or by adoption under the Hague Convention or a bilateral arrangement, then that parent must have spent at least two years lawfully in Australia"

Unfortunately I haven't spent 2 years in Australia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.