Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have no idea which avenue to go down. Six months ago I met the love of my life online and for six months emailed, skyped and text every day and I recently went to meet him in Vancouver, where we both realised we had to be together no matter what. We aren't young and silly, I am 33 and he is 48. I am also going over again to Vancouver in a week's time to see him again for two weeks and we have decided to get married as a commitment to each other, even though we live in separate countries. We know this is so far from the norm,but we are in love and want a future together. My question is this: How do we clock up the minimum 6 month living together stipulation? We realise we will need to visit each other a few more times and spend more time together etc, so to show the immigration office that we were committed to a long distance relationship, but for down the track, what are the options available to us? He is the one who will have to move to Australia, as I own a business here and have a child from a previous relationship who needs a relationship with her father. For him to move here shows he is absolutely committed as he has a really rewarding career working with troubled youth (but does not have social work qualifications) and has a great network of friends and family that he would be leaving behind.
I was thinking a 6 month tourist visa first, so we can clock up our time living together, and being 48, he is too old for a work holiday visa. And if on the application he advises he is married, do you think the immigration office would see that as dodgy, and decline it?
Is there anyone else who has been in the same situation re an online relationship or knows the best way for us to move forward? I know we need to take baby steps at this stage, but I start getting worried when I think about the prospect of it being really hard for us to be together. I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are married there is no such requirements - but migration agent highly recommend at least 6 months living together. Living together means sharing expenses; paying bills; being on the lease, etc...not just visiting on and off.

As you want to get married your best option would be to apply for a Prospective Mariage Visa (PMV - 300). You will have to be maried in Australia upon 9 months of arriving after the visa grant. You can look it up on Google and see if it is a good option for you.

You might want to consult a registered migration agent before getting married to see what would be the best strategy for your couple

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Helene,

I emailed a local migration agent and he seemed to really emphasize that due to us only knowing each other for 6 months that our chances were slim at the moment.

I just need to know whether to start with, getting my partner out here on a tourist visa is doable and advisable, so we can accrue time living together, and have a chance to get joint accounts etc together

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks Firemansam,

So with the PMV I dont need to show 6-12 months living together?
No you don't which is why I was suggesting it - it's much easier. You need to proove that you have met a few times (which is the case) and that you are willing to get married (which is the case as well) so it seems like the best option. It is an offshore visa though; so your partner would have to apply from Canada (he might be able to get a tourist visa while it is being processed)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant!! Oh wow I am totally and utterly relieved. Thank you ever so much for your help, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Thanks Firemansam,

So with the PMV I dont need to show 6-12 months living together?
You get many people on PMV's that have only know each other for a short time.

Reactions: BJade82

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I wonder why the visa seems so lenient re proving the relationship, whereas the partner and defacto visas arent?

Are the PMV visa processing times around the same 12 month mark as the partner visas are?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
9 to 12 months seems to be about the mark. But a 12 month Visitor Visa may be possible while waiting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks JandE,

When you applied for your tourist visa,did you have to explain why you were applying for it, while you PMV was being processed? And did you ned to show proof of funds to support yourself for 12 months or did immigration realise you would be living with your fiance and they were going to support you?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow, I wonder why the visa seems so lenient re proving the relationship, whereas the partner and defacto visas arent?

Are the PMV visa processing times around the same 12 month mark as the partner visas are?
my opinion, that would be in part that the others directly lead to a temporary and then permanent residency where as the PMV is the first of the 3 steps. clear step one then you need to address step 2 and 3.
partner visa skips step 1 so needs more evidence to support itself overall. purely my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Thanks JandE,

When you applied for your tourist visa,did you have to explain why you were applying for it, while you PMV was being processed? And did you ned to show proof of funds to support yourself for 12 months or did immigration realise you would be living with your fiance and they were going to support you?
Explained that the reason was to be together while waiting for the PMV grant. We had been living together in the Philippines for 9 months before the application, and we just wanted to move country to get ready for the new life.

Also proved financial support from Sponsor (Fiance). It was emphasised about remaining living together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.