Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I met online in December 2010 and he got a 3 month visitor visa from the USA to Australia on the 31st of March 2011. It was clear to us both that we wanted to be together very quickly, so we extended the visiting visa for another 6 months and married on the 23 July 2011.

We put in our paperwork for the 820/801 visa in September, did the health checks and doctors appointments where we included documentation of my husband's Bi-polar diagnosis. We called every four months or so but didn't hear back anything significant for two years, I understand now that this is fairly standard.

- In May of 2013 we received the request for more information from the Immigration office and in September 2013 we were asked for a replacement FBI check.
- In January 2014 we were told that we would need to complete a Health Waiver as the estimated cost for the Bi-polar disorder exceeded the cost check.
- In April of 2014 we were assigned a case officer and with our documentation, she submitted the health waiver.
- In Febuary 2015, our case officer was contacted by the Delegate and asked for more information about our financial situation. We were told over the phone that we should have an outcome within the week.

I called back a week later and got another request for more information, some of which were documents we had already sent them and must have been misplaced by someone once they reached the immigration office as I have records of sending them.

We didn't hear anything back after that until we sent off a few documents about a raise I got at work a couple of weeks ago, and were told there has still been no outcome.

We know that we are very lucky to have been together and in Australia during this whole process and we celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary together a few months ago. However I'm beginning to wonder if it is normal for the process to take this long.

Has anyone else been through similar or could offer any advice?

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
At the time you applied, I think they were taking 6-9 months, although it's more like 12-15 months now. The need for a health waiver would have added a bit of time. But 4 years is unheard of as far as I know. Perhaps post in the Ask Mark! thread at the top of the forum to see if Mark (a well-respected migration agent) has any suggestions. Probably all you can do is follow up every month or so to politely ask if there is any update or if any further information is required to finalise your husband's application. Unfortunately DIBP takes no responsibility to deliver a visa decision within any fixed time frame so they can theoretically take as long as they feel they need to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.