Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I applied for my 309 in January. At the time, the checklist of "Applicant Documents" included a list of "sponsor documents", one of which was the 40SP. So my husband completed and signed that, and we uploaded it to my application. We also uploaded the other things that were on that list (proof of identity, etc). On the 40SP it states "The Department may ask you to provide Australian or foreign police checks to assess if you have any relevant offences and a significant criminal record." We are preparing these documents but since the department hasn't asked, we haven't uploaded.

Today I look at the checklist again and now the Sponsor and Applicant checklists are separate. The 40SP form is not even mentioned but now it says "You can lodge your sponsorship form online after your partner has lodged their visa application and given you their Transaction Reference Number (TRN) or application ID."

1) My husband hasn't done this online form, is that an issue? Does the 40SP attached to my application mean the same thing? Are they even going to start assessing my application if my husband hasn't done the online sponsor part?

2) It now says that police certificates are required, not that the Department may request them. So I guess we go ahead and upload?

It seems like the process changed since I lodged my application and I am just not sure which rules I am meant to be following.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So I applied for my 309 in January. At the time, the checklist of "Applicant Documents" included a list of "sponsor documents", one of which was the 40SP. So my husband completed and signed that, and we uploaded it to my application. We also uploaded the other things that were on that list (proof of identity, etc). On the 40SP it states "The Department may ask you to provide Australian or foreign police checks to assess if you have any relevant offences and a significant criminal record." We are preparing these documents but since the department hasn't asked, we haven't uploaded.
As I'm sure you know, the department asks you to wait to submit police checks and medicals until they've requested them. Having said that, some people, ourselves included, submitted our police checks with our initial application and I completed my medical (without being asked) about a week later. Our application took all of 36 days from the date of lodging to approval.

Today I look at the checklist again and now the Sponsor and Applicant checklists are separate. The 40SP form is not even mentioned but now it says "You can lodge your sponsorship form online after your partner has lodged their visa application and given you their Transaction Reference Number (TRN) or application ID."
I'm not sure what you mean? On our immi account they were always separate. I filled out my application, paid and submitted and then opened an application for my wife (sponsor) and linked my application with her sponsorship through the TRN. We didn't complete a paper 40SP even though it's on the checklist as a recommended document. We complete her portion of the application and online and that was that.

1) My husband hasn't done this online form, is that an issue? Does the 40SP attached to my application mean the same thing? Are they even going to start assessing my application if my husband hasn't done the online sponsor part?
You said your husband completed a paper form 40SP, signed, scanned and uploaded, is that right? I think if you've done that, you're covered for the online portion of the application. Having said that, I can only comment on what we did and that was fill out my wife's online portion without any paper form.

2) It now says that police certificates are required, not that the Department may request them. So I guess we go ahead and upload?
As far as I'm aware, police certificates are always required, or have been and that the department, when needed, will request them from you. As I said before, my wife and I front loaded our application and at the time of lodging submitted our Canadian police checks as well as her AFP check.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I'm sure you know, the department asks you to wait to submit police checks and medicals until they've requested them. Having said that, some people, ourselves included, submitted our police checks with our initial application and I completed my medical (without being asked) about a week later. Our application took all of 36 days from the date of lodging to approval.

I'm not sure what you mean? On our immi account they were always separate. I filled out my application, paid and submitted and then opened an application for my wife (sponsor) and linked my application with her sponsorship through the TRN. We didn't complete a paper 40SP even though it's on the checklist as a recommended document. We complete her portion of the application and online and that was that.

You said your husband completed a paper form 40SP, signed, scanned and uploaded, is that right? I think if you've done that, you're covered for the online portion of the application. Having said that, I can only comment on what we did and that was fill out my wife's online portion without any paper form.

As far as I'm aware, police certificates are always required, or have been and that the department, when needed, will request them from you. As I said before, my wife and I front loaded our application and at the time of lodging submitted our Canadian police checks as well as her AFP check.
Eh?, you are way more sophisticated than me with the quoting - afraid I'll have to lump it all together down here :)

Yes, my husband completed and signed the paper 40SP and it's uploaded to my application under "sponsor documents". It was listed as a required, not recommended document. I am concerned that even though that's there, my application will sit on the back burner until they see an online sponsor application too.

Either I had a brain fart and missed it, or the process has changed since I applied. I don't remember ever seeing the option to do an online sponsor application. And for the police checks, in the 40SP form it said they may request them, not they will request them. So I had waited for a request, and now I am thinking we shouldn't wait.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, my husband completed and signed the paper 40SP and it's uploaded to my application under "sponsor documents". It was listed as a required, not recommended document. I am concerned that even though that's there, my application will sit on the back burner until they see an online sponsor application too.
On the main page of your immi account is there your application as well as your husbands, or was this all done through yours? I don't know much about that, just what we did. We linked my application with my wife's. Thinking back on it now though, I did upload her documents through my account as well as her separate one that was linked to mine.

I mean, worst case, you link your husbands with yours and re-upload it all and complete the online form 40sp? I don't know if that is good advice or not, just a thought off of the top of my head.

Either I had a brain fart and missed it, or the process has changed since I applied. I don't remember ever seeing the option to do an online sponsor application. And for the police checks, in the 40SP form it said they may request them, not they will request them. So I had waited for a request, and now I am thinking we shouldn't wait.
I remember reading that there could be proposed changes that make it so the sponsor has to be approved before one can lodge a partner visa application. I don't think that applies to you as I don't think those changes have been implemented.

Having said that, I would personally have loaded all police checks (applicant and sponsor) with the initial application. But that's just me and what we did.

Reactions: salmon1411

·
Registered
16 Posts

It seems like the process changed since I lodged my application and I am just not sure which rules I am meant to be following.
If i were you,

1. Still do it through the sponsor account. Drop an email stating that its been uploaded twice through both accounts and its the same thing document. - This so that if there are any automated checks or something against files uploaded then it would all be ticked.

2. The CO will surely come after you for police reports, you can either wait or do it now. Lots of people have tried uploading early on to have a decision ready application but i dont think that speeds up the process.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
The best place for you to go to is the immigration visa website. It lists step by step what documents are required for both applicant and sponsor, as well as all the information you would have liked to read about how to do the online sponsorship form.

That being said, while the online form is the preferred method (obviously or they wouldn't have created it), if you've done the paper 40SP then that will suffice. You do one or the other. There is no need to go and do it again online if you've already uploaded the paper version.

BUT, the paper version does not include the narrative sections like the online form does, so your sponsor is now required to write a statement separately and upload that to immi account. It needs to answer all five of the same questions asked in the applicant's form in regards to the relationship. You can access your application as a pdf, scroll down, and find the questions.

Sponsor police checks are required for any country lived in for 12 months cumulatively (not consecutively) in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age. You can get a jump start on those now or wait until requested. There are also instructions on the immi page for the visa on how exactly to apply for the AFP police check to make sure you get the correct one.

Don't follow the "recommended" list in the upload section. Many of those don't apply and it is a very generic list. Follow the website.

And as long as the documents are uploaded, it doesn't matter whose name they went under. Some people upload everything under the applicant, including sponsor documents. As long as the files on your computer were named clearly before you uploaded, then there won't be any issues (e.g., "Sponsor_statement", "Sponsor_passport", "Applicant_passport", etc).

Don't go back and upload the same things over again under his name. If it's in the system, it's in the system. Don't make things harder for the CO by having to go through multiples of the same documents in different areas.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
2. The CO will surely come after you for police reports, you can either wait or do it now. Lots of people have tried uploading early on to have a decision ready application but i dont think that speeds up the process.
In a sense it does. If an application is truly decision ready, then the person would receive a grant email as soon as a CO finalized the application. Whereas if documents are missing, the CO then has to request them giving a 28 day deadline, where they then put the app aside and come back to it after those 28 days. Sometimes police checks can take several months to receive, or the CO doesn't get back to the app straight away and even if things were provided within 28 days, the app doesn't get finalized straight after that.

So instead of a visa grant, the person got a request that can draw the process out from anywhere from a few weeks to many more months.

That being said, police checks and medicals shouldn't necessarily be submitted straight away with the application as no one knows how long the app can take to process and they do have that validity period. Personally, I took the chance and was more than willing to redo police checks or medicals and pay the extra cost to do so, if needed.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If you go to the website: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...grant)-visa-(subclass-100)-document-checklist

Then click "Follow these steps"

Then under 1: Gather documents, click "Sponsor documents"

From there you can click the link "Police certificates" for those requirements.

And then if you click the "National Police Check" link there, it gives you info on how to apply for it using the correct code.

While the use of sublinks in that way can make the information a bit difficult to find, it's all there on the website.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. Sounds like it was indeed a brain fart. I blame it on newborn-related lack of sleep.

Also, now I understand why people pay for an RMA. I am a reasonably intelligent human being but it is surprisingly tough to figure this stuff out!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would argue that it does. We front loaded and had our grant in 36 days. To each their own, though, I suppose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would argue that it does. We front loaded and had our grant in 36 days. To each their own, though, I suppose.
That's very interesting to hear. May I ask what year you submitted your application? I'm wondering if there is still the possibility of getting such fast processing times now. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That's very interesting to hear. May I ask what year you submitted your application? I'm wondering if there is still the possibility of getting such fast processing times now. Thanks!
We submitted our application in February of this year and received our grant in March.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We submitted our application in February of this year and received our grant in March.
Wow, that's incredible. May I ask one more question as you have recently gone through this process?

How long were your Relationship statements? I could write sooo much in mine - I mean it could easily be five A4 pages. But I'm wondering if they would prefer that it's a bit more short and concise rather than elaborate and fluffy... What do you reckon?

Thanks heaps! It's such a big help to be able to ask others that have gone through this process for advice.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
How long were your Relationship statements?
Mine was about 5 pages. It was very detailed and thorough. I rambled a bit (something I warned the CO of in my introduction paragraph) but I also detailed our relationship from the very start to the day we lodged our application. For example, for anything in my statement that had corresponding evidence uploaded I would write something like "as seen in..." to link it all together. Did I need to do that? Probably not, but I felt more comfortable doing that.

That said, my wife did her statement on a page and a half. So really it's up to you and your partner. They have to be your statements in your own words, more or less.

But I'm wondering if they would prefer that it's a bit more short and concise rather than elaborate and fluffy... What do you reckon?
There's some merit to that thought. Other users here, some very well informed, have said that they used the boxes provided on the online application with the thought being that your statement shouldn't be a short story, but fit nicely into the word limit in the box provided. As I said, we typed ours up and in the box asking for the history of the relationship wrote "please see supporting evidence 'relationship_applicant' uploaded in 'evidence name'."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was about 5 pages. It was very detailed and thorough. I rambled a bit (something I warned the CO of in my introduction paragraph) but I also detailed our relationship from the very start to the day we lodged our application. For example, for anything in my statement that had corresponding evidence uploaded I would write something like "as seen in..." to link it all together. Did I need to do that? Probably not, but I felt more comfortable doing that.

That said, my wife did her statement on a page and a half. So really it's up to you and your partner. They have to be your statements in your own words, more or less.

Thank you so much for your answer! This is very helpful information. I think my statement will be very detailed and ~5 pages long, and my partner's (the sponsor) a bit shorter. They are probably going to be pretty similar though, but I suppose it's useful for the CO to read the statements from our individual perspectives.

There's some merit to that thought. Other users here, some very well informed, have said that they used the boxes provided on the online application with the thought being that your statement shouldn't be a short story, but fit nicely into the word limit in the box provided. As I said, we typed ours up and in the box asking for the history of the relationship wrote "please see supporting evidence 'relationship_applicant' uploaded in 'evidence name'."
Thank you for informing me of this - I didn't realise there are two options for doing this. I think we will follow your example and stick to uploading the statements separately.

Thanks again for answering my questions - you've helped me feel a bit more confident in all of this.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thank you for informing me of this - I didn't realise there are two options for doing this. I think we will follow your example and stick to uploading the statements separately.
As far as I know or have been made aware, statements regarding the history and development of the relationship are needed from both the applicant and sponsor. How you do them is up to you. In the boxes provided or a word document.

As I said, we did the word document. I was told this "tell the story of your relationship in your own words".

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
The online narrative boxes are the statement. Alternatively you can write your own.

It is my belief that immigration intentionally made those boxes limited to 2000 characters for good reason... to keep people from rambling on forever about insignificant information. Both me and my sponsor who had a 10 year history at time of application were able to answer each of those questions thoroughly within the boxes. It's all about quality over quantity.

That being said, some people choose to write the statement separately. Those 5 questions within the app need to be addressed in that statement and I have seen many RMAs recommend it only be 1-2 pages long. Remember that somebody needs to read it and they don't want to read an essay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

I know this is a bit old, but I just wanted to know if you ever lodged a separate sponsor application, or was uploading the sponsor documents under the applicant's accounts sufficient? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hi,

I know this is a bit old, but I just wanted to know if you ever lodged a separate sponsor application, or was uploading the sponsor documents under the applicant's accounts sufficient? Thanks!
If you're doing a partner visa application, the sponsor needs to do the sponsor application as well. If you're at stage two, then no the sponsor does not do another application form, just the sponsor stat dec.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you're doing a partner visa application, the sponsor needs to do the sponsor application as well. If you're at stage two, then no the sponsor does not do another application form, just the sponsor stat dec.
The thing is, we filled out, scanned and uploaded Form 40sp under my wife's (applicant) account already. I'm wondering if I should still go ahead and create a sponsor application?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.