Australia Forum banner
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a tangent but it is that time of year and been down with the flu for 3 days now, so had some fun on anther forum.

Quote: from a poster with quote underlined and his bold.

but you guys have a better healthcare system

Yes we do, but as a non-permanent resident you will be required to hold private health insurance. Unlike the States, companies in Australia do not provide medical insurance beyond loss of licence and mandatory workplace accident insurance.

Originally Posted by ampk
I actually know a fair bit about Australian visas.

Fact - you do not need permanent residency to access Medicare.

Quote: other poster in reply to ampk

From 14 September 2009, if you apply for Visa Subclass 457 you will be required to make arrangements for a minimum level of health insurance prior to the grant of the visa. You will need to maintain this insurance for yourself, and your family if they are joining you on the same visa, for the duration of your stay in Australia. For details of the required minimum level of insurance, you can refer to the Department of Home Affairs - information on Visa 457.

The only caveat is if you come from a country which has a reciprocal health agreement. Which are;
• Belgium
• Finland
• Italy - you don't need to have been living in Italy, but you must be an Italian citizen and meet the other agreement conditions
• Malta
• Netherlands
• New Zealand
• Norway
• Ireland
• Slovenia
• Sweden
• United Kingdom

I don't see the States on there, which is where the OP is from.

So I showed you mine, now show me yours

(Happy to be corrected, but the above has been my experience)

· Registered
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Firstly the 457 visa system has been scrapped, so it is a little hard to apply for one (some applications are still in the pipeline).

Secondly the reciprocal health agreement we have with those countries is not Medicare and there are limitations on what is provided.

Thirdly, and the important bit is the requirement to be eligible is to have applied for a Permanent Visa - the exception is Parent Visas.

There is no restriction on countries, you simply go to Medicare with receipt of payment for a PR visa, your Medicare application form and the current visa you have to be legally in Australia such as a Visitor Visa or a Bridging Visa E. A short time later they will give you your Medicare Number and tell you your "Blue Interim Card" will turn up in the mail in around 2 weeks, you stay on the "blue card" until PR is granted often a few years later. There is no difference in what is provided between the Blue and Green and I see Ukraine is not on that list!

This one also covers Temp visas and a statement of a time limit for Reciprocal Health cover.

I can also direct you to a forum where many had/have Medicare on temporary residence visas.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Not open for further replies.