Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am clarifying why so many people come to colonise a country that has almost no growth through births. For a society not to have enough children to perpetuate a natural growth, means life is not going to be all roses
Australia seems to have approach like US - pay good money to talented people from around the world and get them to settle down here and bring their knowledge here. This is done through skilled independent migration and 457 visas. There could be several reasons for it but one of them is certainly mentality where money and career becomes more important than family. This is not only Australia though... Most Western Europe, North America and even New Zealand have that problem. As for Louise's case - she came here on spouse visa, same as my wife and her story will obviously be a bit different. In the end, she will either go back to Malta or stay in Australia and manage to get used to the way this country looks (even if it is more expensive and uncivilized than Malta or UK)

If we are talking about "colonising" the country, it has recently (around last 20 years) been colonised by Asians and Indians rather than UK born citizens. Since they tend to have more children than Europeans, the growth of the nation accelerated.

In either case the incentive for the majority of long term immigrants is to accept Australian Citizenship is apparent
Why not? If you stay in a country permanently this is a good idea after all... Although there are no major differences between being "only" permanent resident and Australian citizen (except for a right to vote), it is easier to have Aussie citizenship - mainly for traveling purposes. Also, Australia allows dual citizenship (so does UK from what I know) so you need to give up your original citizenship unless the country you come from demands it.

None of the companies you listed are Australian. Woolies, Coles, Wesfarmers etc are all majority British owned
You really didn't read the links I pasted.

BTW - Woodside Petroleum is indeed Australian company. See the link Woodside Petroleum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no evidence to support your misguided views of Australia being a colony or that we mostly work for british companies, i honestly dont know where you get all this nonsense from, how long & how much experience do you really have of this country?
Sounds almost like British wish it was still theirs. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, if your willing to trust the company web pages or the wiki over business shareholder information I presented then so be it. It means the so called skilled and talented people are infact, well thick.

LouiseB still hasn't answered regarding her migration to Australia. I would like to know if she came as a UK Citizen into a job or changed her citizenry in anyway while living in Malta.

And another thing regarding the comment that indicated I was burnt or had a personal experience to force me to write, while the school of hard knocks produces the better people, even Socrates agrees. It is why someone with wealth and a comfortable life has little need of God, yet one with little comes closer to God. The same reason why Jesus said The rich will pass into heaven like a camel passes through the eye of a needle.

I have worked almost all my life in Australia, owned a couple of business here also. I have even operated Non profit organisations as a committee member over 4 infact. I have also mingled with the politicians here in Australia, infact some of them have referred me to speak to other politicians on various issues. So you could say I am not a whinging or whining individual. I am just presenting matters for discussion. I have thought about leaving many times, but others have kept me here namely kids and family.

Without being hostile, I would like to know from forumers:

1. Upon entering Australia, do they think of it as a new country?
2. Do they think they will stay long term?
3. Are they coming from the UK to enter into a job here pre-arranged?

Maybe that can be discussed and shed some light on the matter of affordability. I mean if people are coming too Australia with a package, then that is entirely different if they come over randomly to try their luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am just presenting matters for discussion. I have thought about leaving many times, but others have kept me here namely kids and family.

Without being hostile, I would like to know from forumers:

Maybe that can be discussed and shed some light on the matter of affordability. I mean if people are coming too Australia with a package, then that is entirely different if they come over randomly to try their luck.
Presenting matters like you have does not really open up for any discussion at all. You have just been throwing your opinions out there in a manner and with a language to indicate that you know everything there is to know about the matter, and that there is actually no further discussion to be had. That's also why I haven't said anything before - I know it's not going to be a very fruitful discussion on those terms.

As an answer to your questions:
1. EDIT: Yes, it's a very different and new country to me.
2. Yes.
3. No and no.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That was almost 10 years ago but...

1. Yes - completely new, completely different
2. Yes - from the first moment I planned to stay here
3. No and no

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well

hmmm NZ? ..... yeah and Canada too. Same crap as Australia. You look up any of the companies I listed and they operate in all those countries too. In particular the mining companies.

1. The Federation Act Was ascended to the British Parliament for enactment. It is a British Act applied to Australia. In no part of the act does it contradict anything I have said.
2. Woodside Pertoleum is most certainly not an Australian company.
Shareholders Major WOPEF Woodside Petroleum Limited including Fund and Institutional

The common story is that some Australian creates a local business and has some success. The next phase is a the UK companies buy them out if they are worth it. The next is they work the businesses to their maximum profit or disolve them depending on strategy. Then they list them on the ASX. Every one of the Big companies trys to link it to a small business success story, and I mean every single one. It is just business BS. The Reality is that depending on the phase you decide to review their ownership, you will find initially Local Ownership, British Ownership, International/USA owenership. I have yet to see a company go from the hands of an Australian company to USA or China before passing through the British ownership first.

Also the Dutch, Norway and other Monarchs in Western Europe have common investments. I kind of friendship in business. Shell and numerous others are not UK owned. That is why I said Monarchy and ALLIED business in my original statement.

In anycase It is not so much going back to the history books because according to them Captain Cook found Australia, The British were the first Europeans to land in Ausralia, and the sun shines from the Monarchs ass. It is more a case of reviewing the facts at present and the few sincere facts we ca derive from the past to determine what is in fact the truth today. It is not me that needs to be doing some reading.

That you took such hostility, shows how deeply embedded your views are amongst the majority. A misplaced trust in something beyond the interest of the average person. Also presuming you know more than me on the matter and having support by some forummers, indicates a sense of cohesion in something that is sadly of no virtue to the people that live here or migrate here. I am not hostile to British migration, but I am clarifying why so many people come to colonise a country that has almost no growth through births. For a society not to have enough children to perpetuate a natural growth, means life is not going to be all roses.

I accept I do not know much about 457 Visas and the like, and you may well be correct. In either case the incentive for the majority of long term immigrants is to accept Australian Citizenship is apparent.

PS [EDIT] None of the companies you listed are Australian. Woolies, Coles, Wesfarmers etc are all majority British owned. Even Virgin Airways is owned by a Knighted guy from Britain. Australia is not a country it is a Colony. Anyway you look at it, and people coming here think it will be all roses but it ain't.

I amalso interested in LouiseB changed her citizenry when she lived in Malta before coming to AUstralia. It may explain the excessive strain of food costs, ie she didn't come here as a British citizen and into a pre-arranged job with one of the Britsih companies.
I love a good conspiracy theory but you're sounding pretty whacky.

You've also used NZ as an example & I know lots of Brits who've come over but I haven't ever heard of nor met one with a guaranteed job or employers favouring them over other nationalities, we're hardly slaves to our colonial masters.

If anything, American, Australian & the Chinese have as big or bigger presence in the business world here.

The entire world is controlled by the 1% in every country in any era, it is what it is but there's still plenty of scope to move abroad to a place like Australia, work hard, climb the ladder & live a nice prosperous life. In fact, with American & European economies in decline & lack of relative freedoms in Asia, chaos, corruption & anarchy in the Middle East/Africa & the entire world on the brink of madness, Australia may not be perfect but it's probably the best place in the world to migrate to right now.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LouiseB still hasn't answered regarding her migration to Australia. I would like to know if she came as a UK Citizen into a job or changed her citizenry in anyway while living in Malta.
I came over as a UK citizen with a UK passport, obviously i had to declar that i had being living in Malta for 20 years but i am still a UK citizen. No i didnt come over here on a job i came here on a PMV visa :D All the evidence i had was on my UK status and nothing more

·
Registered
962 Posts
What a load of bulldust that is being said on this thread. I suggest to all if you wish to discuss economics/history of the world that you set up a thread to do this. Ephestion you seem so passionate perhaps you may wish to do this. I think it is a bit inappropriate the way that you appear to be hounding Louise B, just because you ask a question, it does not mean that you are entitled to an answer (we are all entitled to a certain level of privacy). Can I also suggest you read the book "Their a weird mob" to remind you of how Italian/Greeks viewed Australians in the 50's. Happy to do the book review with you if you set up the appropriate thread.
I initially had the same comment as Murlock , ie if you don't like it leave. I have come to realize it is not about knocking Australia, it is about seeking support especially for people who are homesick which is a normal human condition.
This is the last time I will respond to this thread unless it is appropriate to why the thread was set up

·
Registered
822 Posts
My take on the matter - yes, Australia is way more expensive than The Netherlands.

And I thought the Netherlands was expensive.

I was paying €400 rent a month for a small studio apartment in the city. Here you pay that pretty much per week if you want to be in the city. The groceries I have found really depend on the week (specials) and purchases (mouth wash, shampoos, coffee, and more, are horribly expensive - but meat and cheese are the same if not cheaper).

It will never scare me out, though. Everyone has their own background where they came from. Me I'm pretty much from "this" (not having much to spend) to begin with. I supported myself on minimum wage in The Netherlands - then myself AND my partner on that same wage. We bought the same groceries every week which were tightly budgeted and planned. A "splurge" for us was spending €10 on rending DVDs for the weekend. Our days out were walks by the canals. That's just how it was. We didn't expect to upgrade in Australia. However if you come from more and go to less, I can see how it's frustrating.

Yes, with most things at Coles or Woolworths I still stand there and go: HOW IS SHAMPOO 15 FRICKIN' DOLLARS FOR A TINY BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what are you gonna do.

I can live with it. I always have been unable to buy everything I want and on my list of plans for the future, changing that is pretty much low priority. I just want our own life together and we will be able to do that here. Maybe not as comfortably as in all our fantasies, but close enough to what I'm used to not to even notice it's expensive.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wow, what sort of shampoo do you buy?

I buy a large head and shoulders anti dandruff and pay for it as little as $8 or $9.
Yeah now I get Chicken Feed $2 homebrand shampoo :D but if I would have bought the one that was €3,50 at home, it would have been $15. It's not that I buy that one, it's moreso that I wonder how any shampoo gets to that price. The most expensive bottle I've ever seen at home was €6. So just as per comparison in price range, not necessarily in what I have to spend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This whole idea of shipping costs being the reason for high prices is ridiculous. 90% of everything made in the world is made in Asia, and Australia is closer to Asia than Europe or America. Things cost more here because people are willing to pay high prices and high fees and taxes to support their businesses and government.
Actually, it's not in most cases. India is considerably closer to the UK than Australia (east coast) and China is about 5000 miles from both. It just looks closer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you know how to make money online you be relaxing with careless of expenses in Australia
i wrote this beginer's guide to help the large number of people who really want to create a website(or Blog),to earn money
In Website Guide, I show you exactly how to sep up a proper, normal website with domain name, from start to finish.You do not need to know anything about computers or websites, to follow this guide and make a website of your own

·
Registered
9 Posts
And then $1.70 in 2008...

And then 90 c in 2009. :)
The price of petrol is affected by two factors - worldwide oil pricing & taxes on petrol. I think that, with the exception of a few countries where petrol is subsidized by their governments, petrol prices can only go up.

Also having read the discussions on this thread, I would have to say income here is much higher than many countries, the UK included. For example a checkout chick in the UK earns maybe 8 pounds an hour compared to 20AUD per hour. Hence buying power would have to be different n things would need to be priced to suit labour costs.

As for @louiseb's comments I would have to say that I havent seen prices like she has mentioned b4 (well, maybe with the exception of those small organic, health food shops that charge astronomical prices 4 withered vegs).:)

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
If you visit an earlier thread I started then visit the website snf see the prices I am referring to. It will show the prices on the actual wrbsite of the shop I am referring to.

Sorry for the bad typing but touch phones are not the same as the computer lol.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.