Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monash University - Temporary migration and family violence report

"Based on the estimate that one in four women experience family violence, and the annual average approval of 36,4503 temporary partner visa applications from female applicants, it could be assumed that at least 9112 women across Australia who are on temporary partner visas are experiencing family violence," the report said.

* I expect they mean 36,450 - but that does seem a very high % of partner visa applicants being female.

* 1 in four is from age 15 - no 15 year olds are main applicants of a Partner visa. I also expect 15,16 and 17 has a high % of what is considered DV.

* source also should be neutral for a report released from a university not one with a vested interest.

* 36,450 would seem all Partner visas for females and none were ever given PR due long relationship or kids.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
That one in four

Analysis shows that one in four Australian women experienced at least one incident of violence (ranging from pushing and shoving, upwards) from an intimate partner (2,194,200, 25.1 per cent) since the age of 15.

Data on police reports of domestic violence show that Domestic assault in NSW has risen from a rate of 257 per 100,000 people in 1995, reaching a high of 400 incidents per 100,000 people in 2014 (28,980 incidents).

Fact Check's survey of domestic violence data in Australia showed that one in six women and one in 20 men have experienced at least one incidence of violence from a current or former partner since the age of 15.

However, the national dataset is not able to identify the frequency or severity of victims' experience of violence, a shortcoming that could obscure substantial differences in how men and women experience of domestic violence in Australia.

Survey responses to questions about physical assault ranged from pushing and shoving through to being stabbed, shot or beaten but the survey aggregates all acts or threats of violence, so it could not establish the severity of domestic violence experienced by respondents.

Fact file: Domestic violence in Australia - Fact Check - ABC News

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have long seen all that and know data is scarce - but more keen to see the "temp residence data" it seems to come from a flawed source that expects to find a end result with half the facts - the Board Members certainly have no balance or the statements they make, nor the funding they get.

There is less data in fact almost zero official data on DV against men and many claims are much higher than 1 in 20.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
1 in 4 does seem rather high but I would assume that their sample data is quite low as well, so it they had more or a different location the results could be different.

Does anyone remember when they introduced the DV provison? What I am wondering is if the introduction has anything to do with the increase of processing times as DV cases require alot more work than a normal 801/100 case.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been there as long as I can remember , but Julia Gillard as PM passed DV to include many forms. As apposed to violence it now is more Domestic Abuse - this is done with no guidelines or examples of what will or will not be called Domestic Violence.

In the report there is the guy that had another partner but got his Indian wife here on the Partner Visa to get the $300,000 (payment from her family). Nothing she said from what I can see was Domestic Violence but was both Immigration and Financial fraud.

So as soon as she knew she should have notified DIBP and made arrangements to return home to India - there were no ties to Australia.

If English were an issue then Parents that can find $300,000, can find an English speaking lawyer that also speaks Indian simply in many cases by asking a taxi driver here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.