Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am an Australian permanent resident and will be moving to Sydney in July. Wanted to know what would be the best way to carry money there as I do not have any Australian bank a/c as yet. Should I carry some liquid cash to pay for the initial bills, etc., open an a/c there and transfer from my current savings a/c?

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi - Have you looked into travel money cards? Most banks do them these days. You can upload multiple currencies onto the one card and use them around the world.

Or just withdraw cash from your foreign account as you need it, but you might may bank and withdrawal fees for this.

When I returned from England to Australia I carried cash on me to last a week or two until I could open an Australian bank account, and did an international transfer which took approx. 5 business days.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
You can actually apply for an Australian bank account from overseas. I know someone that did this with their fiancé. The only thing is you can't withdraw any money until you arrive in Australia and do your POI however you can deposit money.

Therefore you could do this and transfer majority of your money and then take a bit in cash to get you by until you do your POI and get your ATM card.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.