Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:My husband and I were married this September and I am currently in Aus on a travel visa while we put together out immigration application. Unfortunately, the department in the united states where I put in my name change application has lost my state issued i.d.. I have other forms of identification such as passport ,birth certificate, and marriage certificate. Will the department of immigration accept an application with those forms of i.d. or will I have to return to the states just to get a state issues i.d. ? Is there any way I can obtain an i.d. while in Melbourne?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Krissy,
who said that you need a state i.d.? In Au there is no legal requirement to have an id card and many people who do not have a driver's licence go about without any id. It is possible to get a photo id card (introduced mainly for those who have lost their licence) but it is not compulsory. Don't despair, passport and birth certificate should be enough and, if you have a driver's licence (overseas, international or local) - bingo - shouldn't be any problems.
Good luck
Dorota

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
As xdorota says, your main ID requirements if going for a spouse visa will be BC, Pp and MC and if they vary because of a previous name change [or are you just talking of having lost state ID because of getting a name change due to marriage] , you should have documentation for that.

You will need to get both an FBI and state police check and if loss of state ID is a problem for that, that ought to be able to be sorted with the state seeing as they lost it and up to them what they'll do for you while you're overseas.

If it is not required, no real need to chase it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.