Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was leaving Australia this morning on a SC300 visa. She has applied for her SC820, and has a Bridging Visa B approved. The SC300 will expire while she's overseas.

An immigration officer took her aside at the counter and said to return to Australia she needs a resident return visa, and gave her the info sheet on it?? She's not currently a PR, and not a citizen either. Do we actually need to apply for this visa or was the immi officer wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
If this is what happened, it might be worthwhile to report the shocking lack of knowledge of this immigration officer, although he was probably just trying to be helpful. I take it you are an Australian citizen and it wasn't intended for you instead? It is not unusual for PR holders to forget about the 5 year travel facility.

Obviously the BVB will enable your partner to return to Australia and as a temporary resident she is not eligible for a RRV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this is what happened, it might be worthwhile to report the shocking lack of knowledge of this immigration officer, although he was probably just trying to be helpful. I take it you are an Australian citizen and it wasn't intended for you instead? It is not unusual for PR holders to forget about the 5 year travel facility.

Obviously the BVB will enable your partner to return to Australia and as a temporary resident she is not eligible for a RRV.
I would do as the above post says and certainly say something about that.
Thanks for confirming what I thought! I wasn't with her as I'm not leaving the country for another week, but they did even go to the trouble of getting a printout of the RRV fact sheet and how to apply. No doubt they were trying to help but it's a bit distressing when we've already been stressed about applying for the BVB without knowing about it 2 weeks prior to her leaving. Definitely glad the RRV isn't needed!

I have also emailed immi before I posted here to ask if it was correct so I'm sure it'll be handled appropriately from their end. Could have been a misunderstanding thinking she was on an 801 already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.