Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was leaving Australia this morning on a SC300 visa. She has applied for her SC820, and has a Bridging Visa B approved. The SC300 will expire while she's overseas.

An immigration officer took her aside at the counter and said to return to Australia she needs a resident return visa, and gave her the info sheet on it?? She's not currently a PR, and not a citizen either. Do we actually need to apply for this visa or was the immi officer wrong?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this is what happened, it might be worthwhile to report the shocking lack of knowledge of this immigration officer, although he was probably just trying to be helpful. I take it you are an Australian citizen and it wasn't intended for you instead? It is not unusual for PR holders to forget about the 5 year travel facility.

Obviously the BVB will enable your partner to return to Australia and as a temporary resident she is not eligible for a RRV.
I would do as the above post says and certainly say something about that.
Thanks for confirming what I thought! I wasn't with her as I'm not leaving the country for another week, but they did even go to the trouble of getting a printout of the RRV fact sheet and how to apply. No doubt they were trying to help but it's a bit distressing when we've already been stressed about applying for the BVB without knowing about it 2 weeks prior to her leaving. Definitely glad the RRV isn't needed!

I have also emailed immi before I posted here to ask if it was correct so I'm sure it'll be handled appropriately from their end. Could have been a misunderstanding thinking she was on an 801 already.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.