Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am feeling more confused by the day! Just had some questions about the online application vs paper.

Once you start filling in an application can you go back and edit it or does it need to be completed in one go?

Once you have main forms completed I believe you pay before attaching the endless supporting docs, so is there some kind of official 'submit' button?

When paying for the application online I'm assuming an Australian debit card can be used and it is charged in Aus dollar?

I have read that some of the online forms combine questions/statements from the paper forms, so maybe is a bit simpler then paper forms?

*crazy eyes*

· Registered
605 Posts
Hello!

I am feeling more confused by the day! Just had some questions about the online application vs paper.

Once you start filling in an application can you go back and edit it or does it need to be completed in one go?

Once you have main forms completed I believe you pay before attaching the endless supporting docs, so is there some kind of official 'submit' button?

When paying for the application online I'm assuming an Australian debit card can be used and it is charged in Aus dollar?

I have read that some of the online forms combine questions/statements from the paper forms, so maybe is a bit simpler then paper forms?

*crazy eyes*
Hello ElleAbroad,

The online applications immiaccount has "Previous", "Save" Print and "Next" buttons. It is possible for one to go back to the previous pages.

You have save every information you put in, I guess.

Hassan

· Premium Member
5,249 Posts
You can save as you go, and I'd recommend saving often as there are occasionally glitches. Once you're happy with what you've entered, there's an obvious submit application button and you then pay. You can pay by credit card. I think you can pay by debit if it's a Visa debit card.

· Registered
61 Posts
I am just going to steal your post as it is sort of related to what I want to know - hope you don't mind haha :)
I am also wondering about online applications - and how they are set out? Once the applicant has filled out the form/hit pay etc, and you get to the bit where you attach all the evidence, do you just load up all of your separate evidence? Or is there different sections where you upload everything? Trying to decide whether its better to have loads of separate attachments or group together like financial stuff as one pdf?
Thanks in advance :)

· Premium Member
8,885 Posts
With online applications, you create an ImmiAccount, start a new application for the applicant (Click "New Application" and then "Migration to Australia by a Partner (300,309/100,820/801)"), answer a ton of questions, hit "submit", pay (or maybe pay and then submit, can't quite recall), get a TRN number, then get taken to a page that gives you a list of documents to upload. It looks like this after you've started uploading things: Attachments

Keep in mind that that checklist of documents is definitely NOT exhaustive - it doesn't include everything you'll need to provide, and it DOES include things that might not apply to you. It also includes the 40SP, which is not necessary as long as you're going to complete the sponsor's application as well (I'll get to that in a second). The checklist is not specific to the applicant. If you have a piece of evidence that doesn't fit any of the listed items, click "Attach Documents" in the top right corner - many more categories of evidence there.

Two things to keep in mind in regards to the attachments you upload: 1) Maximum file size for attachments is 5 MB; and 2) It seems there's a newly-implemented system restriction that only allows you to upload a maximum of 60 files per application (so total of 120 when you count sponsor's application and applicant's application). So keep that in mind, and try really hard to group evidence together in single documents - all your financial evidence in one PDF document, for example. When I personally scanned our files, I did not use the maximum quality setting on the scanner (to reduce file size) and I used the scanner's software that allowed me to scan multiple pages into a single PDF document. Then I used compress.smallpdf.com, which is free, to compress those files further. There are multiple programs available that can both merge and reduce the size of PDF documents, so if one doesn't work for you, you can try another. Obviously use caution and care whenever you're downloading any programs from the internet.

In this section you're uploading documents specific to the applicant, as well as all your other evidence if you like. I'd reserve any documents/evidence specific to the sponsor for the sponsor's application, though (I'll get to that in a second).

It doesn't TRULY matter where you upload your evidence (applicant's application evidence section or sponsor's application evidence section) - as long as it is attached either place, the CO will look at it, and it will be counted. :) So decide what makes sense to you. Like I said, I uploaded the majority of our evidence on the applicant's part, and saved my husband's ID documents for the sponsor's.

Once you're done uploading to the applicant's section, you're just done with the applicant's application - there's no additional "submit" button when you're finished with it or anything.

At any point AFTER you hit the submit button & pay for the applicant's application and get that TRN number, you can start the sponsor's application. Go back to the homepage of your ImmiAccount (where it says "Summary of Applications"), and click "New Application" and select "Sponsorship for a Partner to Migrate to Australia (300,309/100,820/801)." At some point it will ask for the TRN - this is the one you just got from the applicant's application. Then when you're done answering the questions, it will again take you to a checklist of documents to upload - again, you can upload documents specific to the sponsor and whatever other documents here that make sense to you to have here.

In both applications, during all the questions you're answering, there will be a serious of five text boxes where you enter text about your relationship - finances, social context of the relationship, history of the relationship, etc. etc. Each one of you needs to write these in your own words. If you don't have enough space, you can also write your statements separately and upload them, and just write "see uploaded document called ___.pdf" in each of these boxes. If you do decide to just put your comments into those boxes instead of a separate document, just note the character limit before you begin. There can be formatting issues if you decide to write it in MSWord and then copy and paste it over, so I suggest just writing it in a plain text editor like Notepad instead if you're going to do that. If you're getting an error about special characters, try taking out apostrophes and dashes - that usually solves the problem.

Once you're done uploading things to the sponsor's application, you're done. There's no fanfare, though it feels like there should be. ;)

Try to get everything uploaded within two weeks. Why? Here's MARA-registered agent Mark Northam's explanation: http://www.australiaforum.com/739722-post5950.html

By the way, the online checklist says evidence of health insurance is required for Partner Visa applications - it is listed there incorrectly. It is NOT required.

Hope that overview helps!

· Premium Member
8,885 Posts
That's what I'm here for. :) Really glad I could help you guys! :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, if applying online, VFS told me I if I'm not applying in paper I would need to certify every page of the passport (applicant+sponser). Every page = blank pages.
My partner hasn't travelled so he has 2 id pages then around 30 blank pages.

Is this actually necessary? Sometimes things are lost in translation here.

Also is it possible for me to add a police check for myself-sponsor-after the application has been lodged?

Thanks!

· Registered
61 Posts
ElleAbroad, definitely don't quote me on this but I have read if applying online and scanning your passport/etc in, if it is a COLOURED scan, you don't need to get it certified?

CollegeGirl - Quick question, if you don't mind, about the 5 text boxes you mentioned. We were going to write statements for each section to attach as evidence, can we just write in the text box instead? (unless of course, like you mentioned, it exceeds character limits) :)

· Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Hodgi is correct that items you can scan in colour (like your passport, and virtually everything else) don't need to be certified. The only things that need certifying if applying online are the Forms 888 that other folks complete (and the copies of their government-issued IDs, unless they're scanning them in colour directly and emailing them to you or something).

Of course it's fine to put those in the text boxes - that's what they're for. :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hodgi is correct that items you can scan in colour (like your passport, and virtually everything else) don't need to be certified. The only things that need certifying if applying online are the Forms 888 that other folks complete (and the copies of their government-issued IDs, unless they're scanning them in colour directly and emailing them to you or something).

THANKS AGAIN! glad I didn't just go out and copy 50 blank pages and certify them.... :p

· Premium Member
8,885 Posts
The only place that is distinguished is the one little box you tick that I mentioned - it asks if you're applying from a Prospective Marriage Visa. Nothing else in the process/application/document checklist changes when you do that (though it should!), except that you are charged the correct amount at the end when you submit (the ~$1100 amount instead of the much larger usual amount for the 820).

Reactions: reilic

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
You find someone with a scanner. Also there are apps for ipad etc where you can scan.

Scanners are cheap as these days so you could go and buy one if need be.

· Registered
61 Posts
When applying online, what is the go with attaching police checks? I'm assuming you still have to post to immigration? Or is it just a scan and attach thing? Thank you in advance and thanks for all the help already!! :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, I submitted our application online last week (yay!) I am just wondering - if it is submitted online is it processed in Aus or is it still sent to the closest High Commission (in our case New Delhi)?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
8,885 Posts
When applying online, what is the go with attaching police checks? I'm assuming you still have to post to immigration? Or is it just a scan and attach thing? Thank you in advance and thanks for all the help already!! :)
Nope, you scan them in and attach them. Hang onto the originals, though - police checks are one thing they are more likely to occasionally ask to see originals for (you'd mail them to them at that point).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.