Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mates

Was redirected here from Reddit. Here was my original question:

I just recently finished my PhD, so I am still on a Postgraduate Research Sctr (Web) (TU 574) Visa. I am now working on a research project with a University which will result in a 408 visa for the duration the contract (2 years). If the contract were 3 years, they would have been able to sponsor me directly for PR. My end game is to get dual-citizenship (dual nationality).

The immigration website is difficult to navigate/understand so my questions are as follows:

Is it possible to apply directly for citizenship considering I have already been in Australia for 4 years, and will be for another 2, without interruption? Or, is permanent residency a necessary step, forcing me to apply for PR, and then apply for citizenship after PR is approved?

I should have no problem continuing to work in Australia after my current contract, at which point a further Visa sponsorship would have to be on the table from the new employer. Does it make more sense to wait for that considering I am not necessarily at risk for deportation, which would save me the 10k it would cost me to apply via the more traditional routes?

Are there any other options/routes I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You need PR before citizenship.

Been a bit of change in the work visa area, so might be best to spend a few hundred $'s and discuss what you options are or could be.

There is a sticky of recommended agents that often post on this forum - they are all very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently finished my PhD, so I am still on a Postgraduate Research Sctr (Web) (TU 574) Visa. I am now working on a research project with a University which will result in a 408 visa for the duration the contract (2 years).
I'm in a very similar position as you. I'm submitting my thesis towards the end of September and my current supervisor wants to keep me but cannot commit fully (>1 year contract) until the grants/fellowship result is finalised. But she can give me a 6 months contract and the university HR is suggesting 408 visa for researcher. I am just a little sceptical about that because I'm not quite sure if I am fully eligible for it. Any chance we can have a chat with regards to your 408 visa application?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.