Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I know social media is a relatively new things, and I haven't really seen it covered other places, but I was wondering what the feeling was with including excerpts from social media in a visa application. For instance a screenshot from Instagram, or the bit of Facebook showing you have mutual friends?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hey all, so I know social media is a relatively new things, and I haven't really seen it covered other places, but I was wondering what the feeling was with including excerpts from social media in a visa application. For instance a screenshot from Instagram, or the bit of Facebook showing you have mutual friends?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Most of my clients include that sort of stuff. You can paste selected items into a document and create a very effective timeline/overview of your relationship.

Be selective, don't include endless pages with meaningless stuff.

Reactions: sheilae

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
While we prepared our application, it was the only time my partner and I wished we had social media. Luckily for us, we've taken photos of damn near everything we've done together.

The time and date stamps on it are very useful, I imagine. And as CCMS said, his clients use it and he is a respected member of the community and RMA.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
We used Facebook on our application and showed all the friends we had in common. You can also do a friendship timeline which is really good to show thinga you have checked in together etc but if you are constantly tagging each other in things you might not want to include them as they don't add alot of value to the application.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks guys. I appreciate all your guidance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other quick side note, is it best to keep things formal or is a bit of humour OK?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Other quick side note, is it best to keep things formal or is a bit of humour OK?
You are demonstrating to the department that you have a genuine relationship. If you and your partner share laughs, include those, we did, but not overly goofy.

For example, in the summer, my family loves playing darts and ping pong outdoors (while having a few adult beverages) and we snapped tons of pics from that, candid ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it okay not to include social media or is it needed?. Because my partner and i doesn't really post on social media and also, he dont add my friends and i dont add his but individually we know them we just dont do that stuff on social media.

Is it bad if we dont have mutual friends and not much photos posts on social media? :O

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Is it okay not to include social media or is it needed?. Because my partner and i doesn't really post on social media and also, he dont add my friends and i dont add his but individually we know them we just dont do that stuff on social media.

Is it bad if we dont have mutual friends and not much photos posts on social media? :O
As with everything immigration related it is on a case by case basis. There have been a few people that have posted that immigration have asked them why they didn't include any Facebook things and they explained to them that they don't have Facebook.

There are also some cultures too where they won't add friends of the opposite sex so immigration would take all of this in to account.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts

Many people don't use social media. It's only one of many types of evidence you can provide. Not so many years ago, people used to provide postcards, written invitations, letters and the like and that is still good evidence.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I always tell my clients to add a PDF of their Facebook friendship history page. To obtain this, you can follow these steps:

- click on your friend's page
- click the '...' button on their cover photo
- click 'see friendship'
- print to PDF

This is great because it shows mutual friends, your interactions, photos and how long you've been Facebook friends for.

In this new digital world, Facebook is a useful form of evidence (believe it or not!) I've seen internal Departmental records (after lodging FOIs) showing that their investigations team has examined clients' Facebook pages.

At the end of the day, you're paying $7,000 to apply for a partner visa... why not use everything you've got?

Best regards

Lisa Wulfsohn (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

Disclaimer: This message is general in nature does not constitute migration or legal advice. To provide you with migration advice, we need to consult with you to obtain your full information and circumstances. If you wish to receive migration advice please email us to arrange an appointment.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Hi Lisa,

FYI your web link in the post above does not get me to your web site using internet explorer - I can find your web page doing a google for the company name on same browser.

I did only try twice to use that link within a few minutes of each other so may be a glitch.

Anyways hope you have a good year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Lisa,

FYI your web link in the post above does not get me to your web site using internet explorer - I can find your web page doing a google for the company name on same browser.

I did only try twice to use that link within a few minutes of each other so may be a glitch.

Anyways hope you have a good year.
Hi Ampk

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated! I'll try and fix it now. Hope you had a good Xmas and New Years :)

Kind regards

Lisa Wulfsohn (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
In this new digital world, Facebook is a useful form of evidence (believe it or not!) I've seen internal Departmental records (after lodging FOIs) showing that their investigations team has examined clients' Facebook pages.
It really surprises me that so many people still have their Facebook openly available for non-friends to be able to browse through instead of having their posts private.

I will not be surprised to see immigration to rely more on social media and request the friendship history if not provided and the profile is private.

Interesting enough I heard a story for a rejection for America that the visa was rejected because the sponsor does not post about her partner on social media.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting enough I heard a story for a rejection for America that the visa was rejected because the sponsor does not post about her partner on social media.
If that is true, I find that ridiculous and unnacceptable for immigration to deny a visa for that reason. Personally, I do a bit, but not everyone likes posting those sorts of things on social media and I can totally understand that.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
If that is true, I find that ridiculous and unnacceptable for immigration to deny a visa for that reason. Personally, I do a bit, but not everyone likes posting those sorts of things on social media and I can totally understand that.
Unfortunately it is true. I am glad Australia has not gone down that path.

I know people complain about Australian immigration but atleast they are not as hard core as other countries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.