Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My partner and I applied for the partner visa 820/801 November last year (we've played the waiting game for two months now) and it came to my attention recently that a friend of ours who did form 888 for us provided the wrong date in her statement.

I arrived in Australia in February 2015 and started going out with my partner in April that same year, meaning she would have met me around that time. However, she wrote in her form 888 that she met me in late 2014 when my partner and I started dating (in her defence, she was going camping when she wrote that and didn't remember exactly when we met). It was definitely my fault for not double checking the form. I understand that even though our relationship is genuine and honest (we provided a lot of evidence and I personally think it's a relatively strong application), inconsistent information regarding the timeline of our relationship can be a red flag and the immigration department can outright reject/cancel my visa.

I'm pretty stressed out by this right now and have no idea what to do. Do you think I should withdraw my current application and apply for a new one (does that mean that the immigration department won't be able to see my previous application and compare it to the new one as I wouldn't want it to look suspicious)? Should I wait until I receive an answer from them and repeal if it comes to that? I personally don't wanna wait for 20-25 months if I know for sure they're just gonna turn down my application.

Really hoping for get some information/advice from people who have gone through this before. Thank you.

Hailey

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Why not just get a new 888 done by that person, and lodge that, with an explanation of why the date was wrong.
Do not wait for a rejection that can be avoided by an explanation instead.
Was it just the wrong year; writing 2014 instead of 2015?

I am pretty sure that any new application will be compared with all past applications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just get a new 888 done by that person, and lodge that, with an explanation of why the date was wrong.
Do not wait for a rejection that can be avoided by an explanation instead.
Was it just the wrong year; writing 2014 instead of 2015?

I am pretty sure that any new application will be compared with all past applications.
Thanks for getting back to me on this JandE!

Yeah it was 2015 instead of 2014. Our mentioned friend got the date mixed up since she was camping and there was no phone reception out there for her to call and check on that.

So you think it's not gonna be that big of a problem if we just get her to fill out a new 888 form and include her explanation for the wrong date in the new statement? We really don't want the immigration department to think we paid her to lie about us or our relationship is not genuine.

Thanks again JandE!

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me on this JandE!

Yeah it was 2015 instead of 2014. Our mentioned friend got the date mixed up since she was camping and there was no phone reception out there for her to call and check on that.

So you think it's not gonna be that big of a problem if we just get her to fill out a new 888 form and include her explanation for the wrong date in the new statement? We really don't want the immigration department to think we paid her to lie about us or our relationship is not genuine.

Thanks again JandE!
They know that mistakes happen, but its always best to tell them, than wait and let them find out.
So, if it was me, I would send an explanation, with a new 888, showing the correct date. An email to explain, as well as uploading it, would be good, if you have a relevant email address.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Personally I would leave it - most people that write the 888's don't have a real interest in your relationship to keep a diary of your relationship and events. Unless you met an a well know date (Family Birthday, one of the public holidays or a major event like 9/11) not many people will remember the day or month with any precision.

When IMMI rang me ex to get some colour scans uploaded, they said to her I had been out of Australia recently. They then asked when that was, she was a month or two out (wrong) and it was within 5 months from when I travelled.

But she said I went to Singapore with my son and it was to attend my fathers funeral.

So getting the date wrong was not important but the other content was important - I had advised IMMI that my father was now deceased and supplied a copy of the death certificate as they were changes to my sponsorship form.

If the rest of the content of the 888 is good and can be confirmed, then that wrong date means you did not spoon feed them stuff to put in the 888 and it is a true recollection in their mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.