Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am a 37-year old Internal Auditor with 12 years of relevant work experience in the field and was delighted to learn that my occupation is officially on the SOL list. I looked into this and understand that my skills would be assessed by Vetassess for this occupation.

I have approached a few MARA-registered agents and have been advised that although naturally my work experience is as good as it gets, there may be a question mark over whether my ACCA qualification (completed in 2008) is sufficiently relevant and considered the equivalent to an Australian Bachelors degree by Vetassess! I also have a Bachelors degree in English and German. I cannot understand why this would possibly be the case, as ACCA is recognised in the UK and Europe as a Masters level qualification, and it includes specific modules on Audit and Assurance. However, a couple of agents have said that Vetassess might not consider this and that my best alternative would be to apply as an Accountant (General). However, if I were to do this my case would be borderline in terms of points, as my work experience may not count. Vetassess do not publish any detailed guidance on their website regarding the qualifications (other than to say an Australian Bachelors degree equivalent in a highly relevant subject).

I am now totally frustrated and anxious that my application may not be worth pursuing and was looking for some positive advice.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
The best way forward would to do the actual skills assessment(s)and go from there. It is a one-off investment, which will provide the certainty you require.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice Nick.

I was thinking of doing this but was looking to go via a MARA agent and was hoping that someone might have experience of successfully getting through Vetassess with my qualifications before I spend any money.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Unless it is really clear-cut, it is very difficult to advise on the outcome of a skills assessment. They are not hugely expensive in the scheme of things and it will enable you to move on rather than speculating about your options. Even if someone tells you you meet the requirements, there is no guarantee that the relevant skills assessment authority sees it the same way. VETASSESS used to have an advisory service, but I believe that is no longer the case.

Reactions: smartinmcr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct - they now offer the options to have a half-hour consultation whereby they will give you non-binding advice for a fee of over AUS$200 or you can submit all your documents for a pre-assessment prior to that. The problem is they seem very strict on what they will accept as evidence of your relevant employment also, so it could be a headache requesting all of this if you are not sure it is going to work. Summing up whether to go for the accountant general option, as this looks much more straight forward.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Correct - they now offer the options to have a half-hour consultation whereby they will give you non-binding advice for a fee of over AUS$200 or you can submit all your documents for a pre-assessment prior to that. The problem is they seem very strict on what they will accept as evidence of your relevant employment also, so it could be a headache requesting all of this if you are not sure it is going to work. Summing up whether to go for the accountant general option, as this looks much more straight forward.
There are quite a few migration agents with accounting backgrounds who may be able to advise you. I know one personally. Happy to refer you, if you send me your details.

Reactions: smartinmcr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've actually had an affirmative response from Vetassess that they will almost certainly accept the ACCA provided that it is the full qualification and it was granted without exemptions, which in my case it was. Feeling a lot happier now!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Hello all!

I am a 37-year old Internal Auditor with 12 years of relevant work experience in the field and was delighted to learn that my occupation is officially on the SOL list. I looked into this and understand that my skills would be assessed by Vetassess for this occupation.

I have approached a few MARA-registered agents and have been advised that although naturally my work experience is as good as it gets, there may be a question mark over whether my ACCA qualification (completed in 2008) is sufficiently relevant and considered the equivalent to an Australian Bachelors degree by Vetassess! I also have a Bachelors degree in English and German. I cannot understand why this would possibly be the case, as ACCA is recognised in the UK and Europe as a Masters level qualification, and it includes specific modules on Audit and Assurance. However, a couple of agents have said that Vetassess might not consider this and that my best alternative would be to apply as an Accountant (General). However, if I were to do this my case would be borderline in terms of points, as my work experience may not count. Vetassess do not publish any detailed guidance on their website regarding the qualifications (other than to say an Australian Bachelors degree equivalent in a highly relevant subject).

I am now totally frustrated and anxious that my application may not be worth pursuing and was looking for some positive advice.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals/0/Downloads/qualification_assessment/InternalAuditor.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I've actually had an affirmative response from Vetassess that they will almost certainly accept the ACCA provided that it is the full qualification and it was granted without exemptions, which in my case it was. Feeling a lot happier now!
Good for you. If you need further assistance with this, I did send you the contact details of the RMA I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i will send my employment letter to VETASSES as an Internal Auditor with 6 years of experience.
my boss don't know English well
1- what happens when VETASSESS contact him and he can't communicate with them ? and are they communicate via company phone, mobile phone or E-mail ?
2- would u please give me a form of the employment letter and sure i will fulfill my own job description and main tasks .
thanks for help

·
Registered
2 Posts
nick

There are quite a few migration agents with accounting backgrounds who may be able to advise you. I know one personally. Happy to refer you, if you send me your details.
I am keen to know anyone could help me on the internal auditor assessment as i have submitted my assessment at 65 points now still not yet hear from immgration yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.