Australia Forum banner
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

Please find below some info for international students about how they might be affected by the skilled visa program changes. If you'd like me to write on any other topics, let me know and I'd be happy to consider your suggestions.

International students and the skilled visa changes

You may have heard about the recent changes to Australia's skilled visa program. While the changes won't directly affect your student visa, they may affect your plans after graduation. In the past, many students have applied for a 457 work visa after graduation. However, the 457 visa has been replaced by the TSS visa, which has stricter criteria. Most importantly, to obtain a TSS visa, applicants must have two years' of relevant work experience, posing a problem for graduates with little to no work experience.

What are my options?

Luckily there are other options for international students wanting to work in Australia after their studies. The below summarises a number of options that may be available to you.

Temporary Graduate Visa

If you don't have two years' work experience, you won't be able to apply for the TSS visa. However, you may still be able to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (485 visa). The Temporary Graduate visa has two streams; the Post Study Work Stream and the Graduate Work Stream.

Post Study Work Stream

• This visa is for international students who have completed an Australian higher education degree (Bachelors degree and above)
• Visas are granted for 2, 3, or 4 years depending in the highest qualification obtained

Graduate Work Stream

• To get this visa a graduate's qualifications must relate to an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List for 485 visas
• You must complete a skills assessment
• Visas are granted for 18 months only

Straight to Permanent Residency

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to go straight to permanent residency without needing a temporary graduate visa or TSS visa. For example, you may be able to apply for:

• a Skilled Independent Visa (189) if you meet the points test and other criteria;
• you may seek to get sponsored by an employer for an Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (186); or
• be nominated by the Government for a Skilled Nominated Visa (190).

Partner visas

If you are in a de facto relationship or marriage with an Australian permanent resident or citizen you may be able to apply for a partner visa. If you are in a de facto relationship you need to have been in a serious de facto relationship for at least 12 months (subject to exceptions).

Lisa Ira (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]

Please note that the content of this post is for general information purposes only. It does not take your specific circumstances, needs and objectives into account and does not constitute migration advice or services. Any reliance placed on this information is done at your own risk. If you would like personalised advice please book a consultation with us.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Not open for further replies.