Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
also here guys!Can you recommend a good internet provider, currently I'm using dial up.
TPG TPG TPG!
Have been using them for over 2 years and their pricing and service cannot be matched. ZERO down time. Their prices are so reasonable as well!

·
Registered
833 Posts
corrected version of first question:

in US I have sort of unlimited bandwidth and a heavy usage of internet isnt a problem for say 50 dollars a month.

However, when I went to India and used like 70% of that internet usage frequency(wireless connection) I was billed 3500 in 21 days based on gigs of bandwidth used.

What I was wondering is, can a net savvy person of moderate income
* be online 16x7 doing video streaming, torrenting, downloading big files and emails with big attachments and still feel fiscally safe at end of the month(with a FIXED monthly payment)???
I have an unlimited super fast ADSL+ 2 uncapped (I.e. download to your hearts content) for $39.99 a month. It might be worth looking at smaller companies as they might provide batter service and products. I personally not very interested in what TELSTRA, Optus and iiNet provide. With exception of iiNet their products are usually overpriced and their call centeres are as helpful as my Grandma.
Depending on where you are based you might have,in addition to above, TGP, Dodo, Adam, iPrimus etc. Just google or bing em

·
Registered
833 Posts
TGP is GOOD :). They are not the best when gaming online, the lines have a lot of noise and connection drops out. However if you just surf and download you wouldn't even notice. Speeds are around 11mbs down and 4mbs up (depending on your location you might have different result). It takes around 1 hour to download a HD movie, rented movies play excellently in real time. Unlimited ADSL2+ aroundish $35 I think when they had the promo on ... Check website for current prices

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am using Dodo unlimited ADSL2 +, $ 39,90 per month, ido not have complains regarding the internet, i am watching TV online and downloading movies... What i am not so happy is that they over charged my account once with $175 but they refunded it after i called and complained

·
Registered
34 Posts
Us Americans are so spoiled by the ease of internet access, unlimited bandwidth and lightning speed connections (well, almost. that's if you have fibre optic lol)

What I have and it's sometimes a blessing and a curse, is Pre-paid Pocket Wifi. In most cases, you can just buy the pocket wifi device which comes with any number of gigs included in the price (ranging anywhere from $80 and up) and you can "top up" (refill) whenever you use up your gigs either by phone, in the store or online. You can connect up to 5 or 6 devices to the same device so it's good if there's a household to share the gigs or if you have an iPad, cell phone and laptop to connect at any time you wish.

I found this to be the best option for me. I can take my device to the park, to a friends house, or in the car to connect my cell phone whenever I'm out of wifi credit.

I tried Optus, Telstra, and finally Vodafone. Unfortunately the area I live in has the WORST reception so that was kind of frustrating as I had to try all these other services and finally settled with Vodafone because it had the best service in my home.

Currently they are offering 12 gigs per month for $39 with a 1 or 2 year contract. You'll have to be working and they ask for Aust driver's license and medicare card so if you don't have any of these set up, your best option is the non-contract prepaid wifi. They charge an arm and a leg if you go over the 12 gigs per month (they also don't roll over) so use extreme caution.

As far as bandwidth, forget about streaming anything on 12 gigs per month. Using youtube will probably use up most of your gigs in a few weeks :/

I don't have experience with other types of internet services but I'm sure they won't have a cap on how many gigs you can use per month so it may be worth to look into those.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It depends you can get an ADSL2+ with about 22mbs download speed (downloads 1 gig of data in 15-20 minutes) and unlimited bandwidth for $49. TPG and iiNet offer the best deals in my opinion.

Reactions: Penguina
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.