Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everybody,

This is my 1st post here. I just require a bit of information regarding my filipino g/f visiting on a tourist visa.

My g/f lost her job back in December, so she is currently unemployed. However she did already have a tourist visa for Australia, so I purchased a ticket for her to come to Australia. I didnt buy a return ticket, as I thought that we might try to extend her stay for an additional 3 months if we get on well.

Her current tourist visa allows her to stay at least 3 months. Is her not having a return ticket likely to cause problems with customs?

I also dont know how much money she has in her bank account, but it probably isnt $5000. Is that likely to cause problems also? Should I send her some money to put in her bank account?

·
Registered
267 Posts
just to clarify - she has a multiple-entry tourist visa?

AFAICR, usually the length of stay is a max of 3 months at a time.

Customs won't mind not having a return ticket - but immigration might, especially if they have doubts as to whether she has plans to return at all.

Once she passes through PH immigration though, they might question her on who's shouldering expenses, etc - and if "foreigner boyfriend" comes up, they might ask about a CFO sticker or seminar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to clarify - she has a multiple-entry tourist visa?
Yes, it is a multiple entry visa. Valid till the end of September or October this year.
AFAICR, usually the length of stay is a max of 3 months at a time.
Sorry, but what does AFAICR mean?
Customs won't mind not having a return ticket - but immigration might, especially if they have doubts as to whether she has plans to return at all.
Sorry, I got customs & immigration mixed up! Should I purchase a return ticket for her?
Once she passes through PH immigration though, they might question her on who's shouldering expenses, etc - and if "foreigner boyfriend" comes up, they might ask about a CFO sticker or seminar.
She wont be coming from the Philippines. She is currently in the USA with relatives. She will then be flying to Honk Kong, staying 2 nights, then to Australia. I am paying for the flight from Hong Kong to Australia.

What is a CFO sticker or seminar?

Sorry, I am not familiar with these terms.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry, but what does AFAICR mean?

Sorry, I got customs & immigration mixed up! Should I purchase a return ticket for her?

She wont be coming from the Philippines. She is currently in the USA with relatives. She will then be flying to Honk Kong, staying 2 nights, then to Australia. I am paying for the flight from Hong Kong to Australia.

What is a CFO sticker or seminar?

Sorry, I am not familiar with these terms.
1. "As Far As I Can Remember"

2. If she's not coming from the PH, there's no need for a return ticket - it's sometimes asked by PH immigration.

3. CFO - Commission on Filipinos Overseas (cfo.gov.ph)

"Are you leaving as fiancé(e) /spouse or partner of a foreigner or a former Filipino? If yes, then you need to attend the Guidance Counseling Program"

https://cfo.gov.ph/gcp.html

What is CFO Guidance and Counseling Program

For the past three decades, the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) has implemented the Guidance and Counseling Program (GCP) for fiancé(e)s, spouses and other partners of foreign nationals or of former Filipino citizens. Republic Act 10906 ("Anti-Mail Order Spouse Act of 2016) and Republic Act 10364 ("An Act Expanding the Anti-Trafficking in Person Act of 2012") require the conduct of mandatory pre-departure counseling services for Filipinos in intermarriages.

The GCP is also a requirement under the implementing rules and regulations of Republic Act 8239 or the Philippine Passport Act for Filipino fiancé(e)s, partners and spouses of foreign nationals or former Filipino citizens who are applying for a passport for the first time or adopting the surname of the foreign spouse.

The main objective of the program is to assist the integration of Filipinos in their host countries by counseling them on the realities of international migration, and preparing them to meet the practical, cultural and psychological challenges in cross-cultural marriage and migration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. "As Far As I Can Remember"

2. If she's not coming from the PH, there's no need for a return ticket - it's sometimes asked by PH immigration.
Thanks for the info. So it appears I have nothing to worry about regarding funds in bank or a return ticket, is that correct?

As for the CFO, it also appears I do not need to worry about that, as she is not comin direct from the Phils. We arent planning on getting married at this stage. This will be the 1st time we meet in person. I am planning on a very long engagement, if that happens at all. We have to be right for one another 1st.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Hello Everybody,

This is my 1st post here. I just require a bit of information regarding my filipino g/f visiting on a tourist visa.

My g/f lost her job back in December, so she is currently unemployed. However she did already have a tourist visa for Australia, so I purchased a ticket for her to come to Australia. I didnt buy a return ticket, as I thought that we might try to extend her stay for an additional 3 months if we get on well.

Her current tourist visa allows her to stay at least 3 months. Is her not having a return ticket likely to cause problems with customs?

I also dont know how much money she has in her bank account, but it probably isnt $5000. Is that likely to cause problems also? Should I send her some money to put in her bank account?
The immigration at Manila airport will almost certainly ask to see the return ticket, and without it, would refuse boarding. It is more of an issue with Philippines immigration, rather than Australian Immigration.

That was our experience, when flying Manila to Sydney on an Australia Visitor visa.
I did have a return ticket for her, just a cheap one (Darwin to Manila, the cheapest I could find, as I knew it would not be used), and once I showed them that, there was no issue. I was travelling with her.

Bank accounts? No issue for us. No one ever asked, and she had about 2,000 pisos in hers, about $50 at the time.

One other issue, if she is traveling alone, immigration do refuse boarding for some, based on various reasons connected to possible human trafficking. They try to protect younger females from this possibility by refusing boarding at the airports.
Manila Bulletin: 37,856 travelers barred by BI from leaving PH

Make sure she has sufficient documentation to prove a genuine trip.

But not too much in case they want her to have a CFO certificate, based on being in a relationship. That should only apply for a partner visa though, but some Philippine immigration officers have got that wrong in the past, and insisted they get one. But then the CFO people refuse to give one as they don't have a partner visa.

It is the Philippines......

PS: I just noticed she is flying from the US, so the above won't be relevant.

Regarding the CFO for the future, though. My wife has lived in Australia since 2015, but the CFO authorities have confirmed that she would still need a CFO if she goes back for a visit, even after living in Australia for 4 years. The CFO is done to show Filipinos what it might be like living in Australia. (The main objective of the program is to assist the integration of Filipinos in their host countries by counseling them on the realities of international migration, and preparing them to meet the practical, cultural and psychological challenges in cross-cultural marriage and migration.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The immigration at Manila airport will almost certainly ask to see the return ticket, and without it, would refuse boarding. It is more of an issue with Philippines immigration, rather than Australian Immigration.

That was our experience, when flying Manila to Sydney on an Australia Visitor visa.
I did have a return ticket for her, just a cheap one (Darwin to Manila, the cheapest I could find, as I knew it would not be used), and once I showed them that, there was no issue. I was travelling with her.

Bank accounts? No issue for us. No one ever asked, and she had about 2,000 pisos in hers, about $50 at the time.

PS: I just noticed she is flying from the US, so the above won't be relevant.
Thanks for the info. Most of the above wont be of concern because she is flying from USA to Hong Kong, & then Hong kong to here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. Most of the above wont be of concern because she is flying from USA to Hong Kong, & then Hong kong to here.
My husband travelled HK to Manila a few weeks ago on an Aussie passport and was asked for a forward ticket, i thought it was pretty standard everywhere that a return or forward ticked is required on a short stay visitor (tourist) visa.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
My husband travelled HK to Manila a few weeks ago on an Aussie passport and was asked for a forward ticket, i thought it was pretty standard everywhere that a return or forward ticked is required on a short stay visitor (tourist) visa.
It appears to be more of a Philippine thing, rather than Australian.

The US also appear more relaxed on one way tickets.

The Philippines have a policy on it and the airlines enforce it or pay the penalties if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
every short stay/tourist visa requires a return ticket. they will definitely ask for it at immigration and might deny her entry if she does not have it. just buy a return ticket that is flexible and you can cancel or change the dates once in the country. its good to have money or a bank statement ready at the airport to prove financial meals if required, but they might not ask for this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.