Australia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
It’s 5am for me in America and I’m very stressed. I plan on moving to Australia to live with my boyfriend. We have not physically met as of yet but have been together long distance for over 5 months. I’ve been told that this will not fly when applying for subclass 300 or 320 as the mention of de facto relationship needs to be proven. My boyfriend who is an Australian citizen has told me to try and get a Work Holiday Visa so that I can stay while working and then apply for a visa after some time.
I’m at a crossroads on how to prove this or even be able to stay in Australia for 12 months. Do I have to get a 12 month visitor visa approved? Am I missing something? Should I try and get the Work Holiday Visa? Please help. I feel so hopeless like I’ll never get to be with him.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Hello!
It’s 5am for me in America and I’m very stressed. I plan on moving to Australia to live with my boyfriend. We have not physically met as of yet but have been together long distance for over 5 months. I’ve been told that this will not fly when applying for subclass 300 or 320 as the mention of de facto relationship needs to be proven. My boyfriend who is an Australian citizen has told me to try and get a Work Holiday Visa so that I can stay while working and then apply for a visa after some time.
I’m at a crossroads on how to prove this or even be able to stay in Australia for 12 months. Do I have to get a 12 month visitor visa approved? Am I missing something? Should I try and get the Work Holiday Visa? Please help. I feel so hopeless like I’ll never get to be with him.
As you have not physically met, the subclass 300 is not available, but that does not need defacto. The 309 and 820 do require a defacto relationship, so that is almost certainly out too, at the moment.

During COVID the visitor visa and working holiday visas are also highly unlikely. But they would probably be your best bet after restrictions are lifted.

A 12 month visitor visa is not that common, but can be possible. We only got a 3 month one first time, but a 12 month one the second time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you will be able to get an exemption if you haven't met in person.
Even de facto couples living together can have a hard time getting an exemption.
You will need to wait for the borders to reopen, which could take years unfortunately :(
Alternatively, your bf can travel to stay with you in the US for some time. But it will have to be for at least 3 months for him to get an exemption to leave Australia.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree .. if you have never met in person then your chances of a travel exemption are zero.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello!
This sounds like a very difficult relationship to pursue because immigration will not see your relationship as genuine until you meet in person at least once. A partner visa will cost you a lot of money so be careful applying before you know each other very well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello!
I know people in very long term relationships, who've lived together before, in one case having children together - and they cannot get travel exemptions.
A friend of mine should have got married last November to her boyfriend who was living in London - but planned to move back to Australia after the wedding.
The wedding never happened and he is in London unable to get back here.

There is no way you will get a travel exemption during a global pandemic to come visit someone you've never met, when there are Australians around the world wishing they could return to the home they were born in or are a citizen of

1 - 6 of 6 Posts