Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am an international student in South Australia and just finished my 2 years course in Adelaide. I want to apply for 190 visa and having 60 points is enough to qualify for this visa.

In my EOI, I claim 5 points for Australian study requirement, but I do not want to claim 5 points for regional area requirement as I already have 65 points even without it. The reason I do not want to claim this 5 points is that I do not have all rental contracts to support the claim.

In the EOI, the question is "Has the client studied for at least two years in one or more areas in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area?". I have answered "No" so that the system does not award me 5 points. But I actually did study for 2 years in South Australia and the true answer should be "Yes".

Is that a problem? Would DIBP accept this declaration?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would correct it...

You should answer all questions in regard to immigration truthfully. Never purposely say no to a question where the answer is yes.
Thanks Mania,

But the thing is I do not have rental contracts or enough evidence to claim the regional study points. And I also do not need these 5 points to qualify for the visa. I have seen many people mark their work experience as not relevant although they are relevant so that no points awarded for working experience.

What I am worried is that the answer should be Yes but I answered No as I do not have enough evidence to claim for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having an issue with underclaiming points. However you may find you need additional points to receive an invitation given the amount of competition there is for the limited number of available invitations.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Having enough points to apply for the visa and having enough points to get an invite as 2 different matters. The more points you get the better chance you have of getting an invite. I am not sure of what your occupation is but for accountants and IT people with 60 points are not getting an invite.

You can always get a letter from the real estate agent as proof you were staying in a regional area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mish and Maggie,

For SA, I think meeting 60 points is enough to get an invitation already for international student from the state. I currently already have 65 points, so it is not necessary to claim the 5 points for regional study to get the state nomination.

The first semester I changed house quite a number of times as I just moved to Australia and I did not sign contracts with any of them, which was a mistake. So i only started signing contracts from the second semester onwards, which is not enough to cover the 2 years.

So for my case, I would like to verify whether checking No instead of Yes for underclaiming points considered as proving false information?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Surely you have other evidence of living in a regional area? Not claiming it is a mistake in my view.

Reactions: Mish

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think there are definitely other ways to substantiate your stay in a regional area.

Bus ticks, grocery receipts, shipping address, bills, emails with address, address updates for whatever (handphone, bank, school).

If your campus was in a regional area it would be hard to assume that you lived in a metro area and commuted every time (although not impossible).

I would stick to the truth as you wouldn't want to be caught out in a lie.

It is much easier to explain why you lack some evidence (if your situation was the truth of course) than to explain your lie when the evidence does come out in the end.

Since pretty much all of SA is considered a regional area, any evidence of you living in the state can be considered evidence. Air ticket stubs, bus card, pictures, work history/pay slips, even school attendance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.