Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to work in Australia (possibly permantly if it goes well) however the long wait for a Visa is very offputting.

If I came across as a tourist would it be possible to apply for jobs, attend interviews and if successful get a temporary work visa until the correct visa can be issued (which I believe takes around a year)

Im 31 single British passport and resident. Currently working in IT (database administration), no immediate family in Australia, although my dad's cousin is Brisbane and has been for around 50 years.

*EDIT*

After looking through the government website, I think that 457 (Employer Sponsored Temporary Visa) would be the way to go if this approach is acceptable, is this feasible?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I would like to work in Australia (possibly permantly if it goes well) however the long wait for a Visa is very offputting.

If I came across as a tourist would it be possible to apply for jobs, attend interviews and if successful get a temporary work visa until the correct visa can be issued (which I believe takes around a year)

Im 31 single British passport and resident. Currently working in IT (database administration), no immediate family in Australia, although my dad's cousin is Brisbane and has been for around 50 years.

*EDIT*

After looking through the government website, I think that 457 (Employer Sponsored Temporary Visa) would be the way to go if this approach is acceptable, is this feasible?
It is not illegal to have a look about and make contact with employees, even get an interview as such while here on a tourist visa or an ETA however the government approach is that a tourist visa is for that and giving any indication of otherwise could see you refused entry if you were selected for questioning and revealed your intent to be more seeking work than a holiday trip during which you might engage in assessing potential for a future purpose.

It could be better if you go for an ETA - Business.

The other reason for doing a recce trip on an ETA is that tourist visas often have what they call a No Further Stay condition and though there are some circumstances in which such a condition may be waived, that is rarely successful.
A 457 would be about your best bet but obviously is reliant on finding an eligible employer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.