Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was such a thing as priority processing on compassionate/medical grounds?

I'm an Australian citizens by birth and my husband is an Irish citizen, he's been here for 6 years and is currently on a bridging visa. We applied for our 820/801 visa in August 2017 and hopefully will be granted both at the same time as we have been married for a long time.

I had our first child in November 2017, he was born prematurely likely caused by my stress. And today I have just found out I'm pregnant again with twins, although it is very early. I've now been sent to the hospital as I'm considered very high risk now because my first child was born by C-section, and my scar has not had time to heal. The doctors have made it very clear I absolutely must reduce my stress levels & be on bed rest for this pregnancy or I'm risking a uterine rupture if I go into premature labour again. I believe it was the stress of the immigration process that causes my first baby to be born prematurely, and this pregnancy will be a lot more complicated. I was wondering If I was to send my medical information to the dibp would they consider us for priority processing? The stress of not knowing if on any given day in the next two years I could wake up to an email saying we have 28 days to leave the country is too much for me! I know that they usually don't consider babies or the impending birth of babies to count for anything, but if waiting for a decision is adding stress that is actually putting my life, and my two babies lives at risk would they consider it to be compelling circumstances? Especially as I'm the Australian sponsor and not the applicant?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I was wondering if there was such a thing as priority processing on compassionate/medical grounds?

I'm an Australian citizens by birth and my husband is an Irish citizen, he's been here for 6 years and is currently on a bridging visa. We applied for our 820/801 visa in August 2017 and hopefully will be granted both at the same time as we have been married for a long time.

I had our first child in November 2017, he was born prematurely likely caused by my stress. And today I have just found out I'm pregnant again with twins, although it is very early. I've now been sent to the hospital as I'm considered very high risk now because my first child was born by C-section, and my scar has not had time to heal. The doctors have made it very clear I absolutely must reduce my stress levels & be on bed rest for this pregnancy or I'm risking a uterine rupture if I go into premature labour again. I believe it was the stress of the immigration process that causes my first baby to be born prematurely, and this pregnancy will be a lot more complicated. I was wondering If I was to send my medical information to the dibp would they consider us for priority processing? The stress of not knowing if on any given day in the next two years I could wake up to an email saying we have 28 days to leave the country is too much for me! I know that they usually don't consider babies or the impending birth of babies to count for anything, but if waiting for a decision is adding stress that is actually putting my life, and my two babies lives at risk would they consider it to be compelling circumstances? Especially as I'm the Australian sponsor and not the applicant?
There are many people in similar or other stressful situations, so I doubt very much your circumstances would be considered as sufficient for priority processing.

There is no harm in trying, but the last time I did (regarding a parent visa) I was more or less told that they do not do priority processing full stop, as so many people are in all sort of difficult circumstances and it was impossible to prioritise one over the after.

As far as your application is concerned, why do you believe it could possibly fail ? With a long-term relationship and a child I can't see any problems.

Maybe you should just try and relax, concentrate on your child and your pregnancy and not worry too much about the application.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
There are a lot of people who find the immigration process stressful, and many of them don't have the advantage of being together during the processing time. The fact that your husband is here by your side, is something you're lucky to have.

Just because you think it was the stress of the visa process doesn't mean it is any more important for you to get his visa processed ahead of other people who are waiting. We had a forum member in the past whose husband was dying of cancer and that didn't change the processing time and unfortunately her visa wasn't granted in time for her to be able to activate it.

As Nick said, if your relationship is genuine and you have a child (plus 2 more on the way within 6 weeks of the first one, that's got to say something about your relationship :) you shouldn't have to worry about whether he'll get a visa.

Don't mean this to sound harsh, but everyone wants their visa processed quickly and it's only fair that they not try to jump ahead of others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
CCMS, thank you, his application wasn't very straightforward because of the character requirement. It's about 50/50 if it will get approved or not. My biggest worry is that because I will be on bed rest for atleast the second half of my pregnancy, if he is asked to leave I won't have anyone else to look after me or our first baby. I also won't be allowed to fly to go with him obviously. I think we'll just try and ask anyway, what year did you ask them?

Maggie - I don't mean to be rude, but if you had to see your child struggling in the special care nursery, you'd do anything you could to stop your next two go through the same, you wouldn't really care who's feeling you hurt for jumping ahead. People are obviously asking for priority processing, like CCMS just said they did, I'm reading about people asking for priority processing just so their kids can't make in time for the school year starting so they don't have to enroll mid term. And someone getting priority processing because they complained to the attorney general about the processing times. So I feel that I atleast have the right to ask them. Thanks anyway though.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
CCMS, thank you, his application wasn't very straightforward because of the character requirement. It's about 50/50 if it will get approved or not. My biggest worry is that because I will be on bed rest for atleast the second half of my pregnancy, if he is asked to leave I won't have anyone else to look after me or our first baby. I also won't be allowed to fly to go with him obviously. I think we'll just try and ask anyway, what year did you ask them?
My request was last year.

I can't comment on the character issue of course, but even if your partner's visa was refused, he could appeal and would not have to leave straight away. It could be over a year before any appeal is eventually heard.

It doesn't cost anything to ask for priority processing, but the most likely answer you will get is that your situation is no more stressful than that of thousands of others, especially those with a partner overseas.

Furthermore, in view of there being some doubts about the application being approved, wouldn't you be better off letting sleeping dogs lie? The longer you are together, the better chance you would have at a potential future AAT review.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.