Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

A while back I posted a thread trying to find out whether I could connect my cert IV in accounting to my Cert III in Carpentry. After receiving some help from members and wasting time on a migration agent and researching online, it was quite clear that it would not be possible.

So, now I need to find a different course to complete the 2 yrs study requirement. Currently finishing my cert III in carpentry, it seems that there are not many options on "closely related" courses, as well as not much information available to what is considered closely related (found that the ANZSCO website sort of gives an overview on each occupation but doesn't seem to be enough).

What would you guys consider as closely related? I was looking at:
Cert IV in Building and Construction
Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
Diploma of Building and Construction (Management)
-This one in specific I found much cheaper than the other ones, but i'm concerned that it may not be accepted in the near future as being related (?)

After paying 15k for a one year of study, I would like to find something that is cheaper. Some courses like "Project Management" offer quite good value for money, but again it may not be considered related.

Unfortunately the whole process is becoming a bit frustrating and it seems to be getting more difficult as well. I don't have a partner here and my background is actually Finances (graduated from Uni and worked as a Financial Adviser for 2 years- while studying). Some finance-related professions are available, however, only in the Short Term list.

Another option would be to study a diploma of Financial Planning and connect to Cert IV in Accounting and then apply for the 485 (?) In this case I believe I would be required to have a bachelor though.

I've been here for about 3 years ( 25 yrs old) and spent a lot of money with all these courses that so far haven't lead to anything when it comes to getting a PR.

I even tried to get a merit scholarship to study a Masters in Finances using my previous grades, but it didn't go through, even though the average grade was 89.5 (doesn't seem to be enough).

I'm open to any opinions and your help will be extremely welcomed!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
To be counted toward the Australian Study Requirement courses must be at diploma level or above, or if lower be a prerequisite for a higher-level course.

Some unusual combinations of courses have been assessed as closely related to a nominated occupation after applicants, having been refused, have gone to merits/judicial review.

It often happens that DIY applicants, or those advised by course providers or 'education agents' find themselves undertaking courses that lead nowhere except the bank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. In the construction related scenario, would a diploma also be the only option? Because, at least for carpentry, the highest qualification would be a Cert III, and then something else higher than that afterwards, or even a Cert III in joinery as well.

Indeed it's not easy to go through it. Apparently the last round even for carpentry, 75 points were required in order to receive an invitation.

I wonder whether a simple "project management" course would fit the bill and be related to carpentry. Or if the only option is a Diploma of Building and Construction...

Have a good weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.