Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Long time reader first time poster.

Won't bore you with a lot of background but currently on temp partner visa awaiting permanency which I should be eligible for in November 2018.

I have recently applied to study for my Masters of Social Work starting in October (aware of the crazy fees)

Problem is, I've recently found out that my partner has cheated on me multiple times. My self respect will not allow me to stay with somebody who has done this to me. She has threatened the visa against me, but I refuse to be held to ransom by somebody who has done wrong in the first place.

So question.....has anybody ever withdrawn their application before a decision is made and applied for another visa? (in my case a student visa). I'm hoping that if I withdraw this partner visa I can apply for a student visa instead, after providing a confirmation of enrolment.

I would rather attempt to study and become a permanent resident with a skilled visa due to becoming a qualified professional.

Can anybody share their experiences of maybe withdrawing or their partner withdrawing an 820 application and being successful in applying for a different visa?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and your responses are very much appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
There is nothing stopping you from applying for another visa you meet the requirements for and then withdrawing the current application. The chances of being granted a student or some other temporary visa after applying for a permanent visa will be slim. You’d have to produce very convincing Genuine Temporary Entrant evidence. If you are currently on a bridging visa, there may be additional roadblocks depending on which visa you apply for, while in Australia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply CCMS

Just so I understand correctly, is your opinion that I can withdraw this temp partner visa application and apply for the student visa. Or are you saying that the chances of this being successful will be slim?

I am currently on the subclass 820 visa.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
Thanks for your reply CCMS

Just so I understand correctly, is your opinion that I can withdraw this temp partner visa application and apply for the student visa. Or are you saying that the chances of this being successful will be slim?

I am currently on the subclass 820 visa.
The chances of being granted a student visa as the holder of a sc. 820 visa will be very slim.

I would generally not withdraw an existing visa before lodging a new application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the impression that you could not apply for another visa while you already have a visa hence the withdrawal of one, followed by the application of another.

So you would say it is better to apply for the student visa and then withdraw the sc 820? I guess that would give me more of a peace of mind that I am not visa-less while waiting the student visa to be granted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
I was under the impression that you could not apply for another visa while you already have a visa hence the withdrawal of one, followed by the application of another.

So you would say it is better to apply for the student visa and then withdraw the sc 820? I guess that would give me more of a peace of mind that I am not visa-less while waiting the student visa to be granted.
I am saying that in general it is not a good idea to withdraw an existing application, before you have a new one in the system.

I can't provide specific advice on your matter here, as there are just too many different factors to consider .I suggest you get some professional advice, so you can weigh up all the different options and potential consequences.

Your main issue with any student visa application will be the GTE requirements and the fact that you have already applied for permanent residence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I won't go into the gritty details of how I know, but I'm guessing that you're wondering if I have physical evidence of the cheating and threats. I don't, this is only verbal through arguments threatening to cancel and making me try second guess myself etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,023 Posts
Well I won't go into the gritty details of how I know, but I'm guessing that you're wondering if I have physical evidence of the cheating and threats. I don't, this is only verbal through arguments threatening to cancel and making me try second guess myself etc
Then you have Jack - verbal counts for nothing , and no I don't want details just wanted to know if you had evidence.

Seems you don't.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top