Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I know that 457 dependent have work rights but i do not see consultants preferring 457 dependent.What might be the reason.Could anyone of you help me by sharing some tips for securing job as 457 dependent.:(

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
All your dependents can do is keep applying and when asked, say they have full work rights. I know it can be difficult though. A colleague's wife had this problem and she ultimately returned home to work until they were able to get their PR.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
There are alot of people that can not get work on temporary visas. Try getting them to look for work outside their field even at subway. Even with pr you can still face a problem being that you have no oz experience if you just wait until pr to get a job in the field. At least subway will give you oz experience.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Try seek.com.au, LinkedIn, and Gumtree.com.au.

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already tried ,that's the reason looking for tips from experienced members. I was working in india but looks like I need to follow different approach. Please suggest.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Unfortunately there's no magic answers. You just have to keep looking. I've been here six months and I'm still unemployed myself (though admittedly I didn't start looking TOO hard until after my marriage a few months ago - I was wedding planning until then). I was fortunate that I had a friend in the industry I want to go into (not IT, sorry) who was able to hook me up with a couple of recruiters in my industry, so that gives me some hope that I'll find something soon.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Unfortunately there's no magic answers. You just have to keep looking. I've been here six months and I'm still unemployed myself (though admittedly I didn't start looking TOO hard until after my marriage a few months ago - I was wedding planning until then). I was fortunate that I had a friend in the industry I want to go into (not IT, sorry) who was able to hook me up with a couple of recruiters in my industry, so that gives me some hope that I'll find something soon.
How about migration law? Will need PR first, but then you can take a case management position in a firm, graduate certificate can be obtained part-time in a year and then apply for registration and wait for 8 weeks. You spend enough time advising, might as well make a career out of it! ;)

OP - I believe a lot of companies are wary that a secondary 457 visa holder is reliant on the primary applicant's visa so the status is not as secure as PR. Tweak your CV (I see thousands of shockingly bad CVs)and just keep applying and applying, something will turn up.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
You can do it! Best of luck. :)

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
How about migration law? Will need PR first, but then you can take a case management position in a firm, graduate certificate can be obtained part-time in a year and then apply for registration and wait for 8 weeks. You spend enough time advising, might as well make a career out of it! ;)

OP - I believe a lot of companies are wary that a secondary 457 visa holder is reliant on the primary applicant's visa so the status is not as secure as PR. Tweak your CV (I see thousands of shockingly bad CVs)and just keep applying and applying, something will turn up.
Haha, Adam! Thanks. :) I've considered it, though every day on this forum seems to show me there's much more I DON'T know about migration law than what I do know. But in the profession I'm already in there's more room for creativity (and TBH a higher salary than I'd likely command for quite some time with migration)... who knows, though, I may change my mind at some point and decide to take it up after all if my chosen profession doesn't work out. ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll let you into a little secret, nobody really knows all the ins and outs of migration law, there's too many aspects and too many changes to keep it all in your head. All you have to do is have an overall understanding of the common classes and issues, then look up the rest in the regulations. If you can read and understand the law you have everything you need whenever you need it.

I know what you mean about salary though, I need to ask for a pay-rise :D

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
IT is one of the hardest fields to get in to in Australia for a foreigner because we have so many citizens in that field.

Also DO NOT look for jobs on gum tree! Majority of their jobs are dodgy, by that I mean tax avoidance. Majority of people that will look for jobs on gum tree are foreigners because all Australian citizens know their rights regarding what employers should pay ie. Super, tax, awards rates. There are a few that are legit but majority are not.

You just need to keep trying. Most jobs in Australia there are 100+ applicant for each job, sometimes even 300+!

To be honest there are even some places where pr will not help you, you need to be a citizen. Just keep trying and eventually you will get something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.