Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm 23, from the UK, my partner is 24, from Australia, and we have been together for about 2 years, both living in Australia since July 2016. We applied for the first stage of the defacto partner visa in July 2017 onshore.

My partner has just accepted a 12 month job starting in late January 2018, and I've been working casually wherever I can as the visa situation kind of puts your career on hold slightly (or beginning your career in my case - I have a degree in Psychology but the vast majority of careers in that field require further study, which I can't afford at the international fee rate - I think this becomes domestic when/if I'm granted permanent residency). However, I have recently received a fantastic opportunity for a paid Psyc internship at a company I'm really interested in, in New Zealand for 12 months, starting between May - July 2018 (flexible). My partner and I have discussed this, and whilst we hate the idea of going long distance again, we realise how good an opportunity it is and how frustrating it is to be in this limbo state for so long.

Obviously, this brings up a few issues with the application process. I don't think ours is a complicated application, we fit all the requirements and have (hopefully) submitted enough documentation. With the current wait time for visas, is it worth pursuing this opportunity? I understand you have to be onshore when you receive the visa grant, can this be arranged with your case officer/DIBP so that I can come onshore from NZ for it to be granted? Would I be able to leave, work and come back and forth for that long on a BVB?

Even in the unlikely event that my visa was granted before I were to leave, I don't know all the limitations with the temporary resident visa - can I leave the country and work somewhere else for a year, and visit my partner during that time? Do you have to be in Australia for a certain period on the temporary visa in order to get permanent residency?

I'm not that optimistic as I know the visa makes leaving the country difficult, but I'd like to at least look into this opportunity and see if it's possible in any way.

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate any feedback!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
You can inform DIBP about your change in circumstances using Form 1022. DIBP will ask you to come onshore when they will be issuing partner visa.

You will be able to get BVB but most likely it will be granted for max 6 months (may be more - normally it is limited by the general processing time of the visa applied but there is no fixed rule) and then you can come back and get it re-issued.

To get the permanent partner visa (after 2 years), you need to prove that you are still de facto partner and in genuine relationship. You need to prove that you do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis. So, keep collective the evidence to prove genuine relationship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi notplanned, thanks for your quick response.

You can inform DIBP about your change in circumstances using Form 1022. DIBP will ask you to come onshore when they will be issuing partner visa.
When DIBP ask you to come onshore, do you know if they give you much warning? If I took up this job abroad, would it give me enough time to take off work and get flights sorted to come onshore?

You will be able to get BVB but most likely it will be granted for max 6 months (may be more - normally it is limited by the general processing time of the visa applied but there is no fixed rule) and then you can come back and get it re-issued.
Does the BVB have multiple reentries?

To get the permanent partner visa (after 2 years), you need to prove that you are still de facto partner and in genuine relationship. You need to prove that you do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis. So, keep collective the evidence to prove genuine relationship.
Yep, will make sure to keep collecting evidence! We have been living together for a year and a half already. Surely the fact that we both have accepted jobs for 12 months to pursue careers is a valid reason as to why we won't be living together? As long as we show we are still committed to each other, and are planning to live together again afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ariesle, so that means it may be possible to get one for 12 months/or two 6 month BVBs one after the other maybe...although I imagine that would push back the 820 issuing date
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Hi Silas :)

I applied for a BVB 11pm 26/10/17 and it was granted at 10am 27/10/17, 12 months with multiple entries.

Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ramah, that's great news! If you don't mind me asking, what did you put as your reason for getting that BVB? Just simply working abroad or something?

Also, did you get issued your 820 during that BVB time period or after that time?/or are you still waiting on it to be issued?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Thanks ariesle, so that means it may be possible to get one for 12 months/or two 6 month BVBs one after the other maybe...although I imagine that would push back the 820 issuing date
Once they are ready to grant it they will request you come back onshore for the grant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Thanks Ramah, that's great news! If you don't mind me asking, what did you put as your reason for getting that BVB? Just simply working abroad or something?

Also, did you get issued your 820 during that BVB time period or after that time?/or are you still waiting on it to be issued?
The BVB was granted 3 days ago and I'm leaving tomorrow so still waiting for my 820 visa, nothing has happened in between :)

My mother is ill and we're in the process of selling her home and buying her another one which will be more comfortable for her.

I attached medical reports and also letters and reports from the agent and lawyer in regards to her move.

I'll be in and out of Australia, I'm not looking to stay for the full 12 months in the UK but they granted it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
" I think this becomes domestic when/if I'm granted permanent residency"

I would do some research on this :(
Thanks for the link Mania, I think I would still be charged at domestic fee rates rather than international fee rates though, right? Just wouldn't get the same support in terms of loans etc.

At this stage, I haven't taken a long look into doing further study, I'm still not sure if that's what I want to do, but worth considering all the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The BVB was granted 3 days ago and I'm leaving tomorrow so still waiting for my 820 visa, nothing has happened in between :)

My mother is ill and we're in the process of selling her home and buying her another one which will be more comfortable for her.

I attached medical reports and also letters and reports from the agent and lawyer in regards to her move.

I'll be in and out of Australia, I'm not looking to stay for the full 12 months in the UK but they granted it :)
Apologies Ramah, I misread the dates! Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope it all works out. Thanks for the info, I'll bare that in mind if I do end up applying
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Apologies Ramah, I misread the dates! Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope it all works out. Thanks for the info, I'll bare that in mind if I do end up applying
Thank you :)

There was another forum user who needed to go to Europe for work for 12 months and a BVB was granted for them not long ago (few weeks ago) but I can't remember the username, sorry! :rolleyes:

Support your application with enough evidence and fingers crossed it goes in your favour!

Best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once they are ready to grant it they will request you come back onshore for the grant.
And once you have the 820 are all the travel limitations lifted? You just have to keep collecting evidence that you're still in a genuine relationship for the 801?

So potentially my partner could come out and live with me in NZ once her 12 months are up and whilst I'm still doing mine, and then we could move back to Australia afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
And once you have the 820 are all the travel limitations lifted? You just have to keep collecting evidence that you're still in a genuine relationship for the 801?

So potentially my partner could come out and live with me in NZ once her 12 months are up and whilst I'm still doing mine, and then we could move back to Australia afterwards.
The 820 will allow for travel in and out at will until a decision is made on the 801. You would need to fulfil all of the conditions of the 801 and continue to gather evidence as you said :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you :)

There was another forum user who needed to go to Europe for work for 12 months and a BVB was granted for them not long ago (few weeks ago) but I can't remember the username, sorry! :rolleyes:

Support your application with enough evidence and fingers crossed it goes in your favour!

Best of luck!
That's very encouraging to hear, I'll take a look through the recent threads and see if I can find anything.

Thanks Ramah, good luck with everything too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Thanks for the link Mania, I think I would still be charged at domestic fee rates rather than international fee rates though, right? Just wouldn't get the same support in terms of loans etc.
Other way round, you will be treated as a full fee payer with no access to CSP. However you will now be eligible for a loan >_<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give everyone an update, in case anyone stumbles across this thread and wants to know the outcome.

After enquiring as much as possible without paying any money, and not getting that much info, I decided to try to go ahead with accepting the job and hoping it would work out. I applied for a bridging visa about a month ago. It seems that only when you pay money to immigration they give you attention. I received a very generic reply within a few days, stating the BVB is only usually granted for a max of 3 months but can be extended in certain circumstances. They asked if I'd like to go ahead with the 3 month visa. In my initial application, I had explained the whole situation that I was looking for a 12 month BVB or at least some other option/advice as that's how long the contract was, and included all the relevant evidence. So I was dismayed by this response, and sent a reply back explaining my situation and asking if there were any alternatives. I still haven't received a reply back from them.

I then contacted a migration agent, and paid for an hour long consultation. It was frustrating that he had access to so much more info than I did, apparently he had spent a few thousand on some kind of program. Seems a bit unfair that we all don't have access to this for free. The single best source of information that I have found on visas has been internet forums, which is a bit crappy from the government. The migration agent gave me a couple of options, advising that each were risky and costly. The first would be to take the 3 month BVB, go to NZ and start my job, then before the 3 months was up, come back to Aus, reapply for another 3 month BVB, etc etc for the 12 month period. There would be no guarantee I would get each BVB, it would be very hard/unfair to explain and expect that of my employer, and it could also jeopardise my current visa application.

The other option was to ditch my current 820 onshore application, work abroad, and then apply for an 820 offshore application - costing another $7000. The migration agent also said with either of these options I would have to provide a lot of evidence about our relationship. To me, it is a little naive to expect a couple to always remain in the same location throughout their life, as all sorts of things come up, but a strong relationship will survive through these experiences. I said as much to the migration agent, and he agreed, but said that it would still weaken my application in the eyes of immigration. I guess with enough evidence it would still be fine, but because of all the risks and costs outlined above, and because the partner visa is my priority, it wouldn't be worth it. I recently explained all this to the guys in NZ, as I didn't want to mess them around, and on that basis I wouldn't be able to accept the position. So it looks like I'm sticking around in this limbo state for another year or so, waiting on a decision!

As a side note, I attempted to get a credit card just to build a credit rating. Alas, the 20-25 month bridging visa I am on (based on current wait times) does not meet the requirements for a credit card. Another frustrating aspect of this process. I am usually a very optimistic person, but this waiting is agonising at times. Thinking positively, at least I'm in the country, with my partner, and have managed to get a good short-term job.

Phew, writing this has been slightly cathartic and has released some pent up frustration, sorry for the rant.

I hope everyone else's applications are going well!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top