Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I secured Australian PR recently and also validated my visa lately.

During my stay, a little research over internet and discussion with friends over there, I have come to know that the job market is Australia isn't very promising, at the moment, particularly when one ain't having local experience at all.

I am Mechanical Engineer and have more than 7 years of experience of working with world class Oil & gas companies in Pakistan. I have foreign trainings, certifications and also technical abilities to handle and work on rotary equipment operating in hydro-carbon area i.e. I have a very strong professional profile in my home country i.e. Pakistan.

I haven't yet resigned from my employer since I have still been holding on to see the job market before I sacrifice my everything back home.

It's hard, kinda really hard, when you're doing pretty well and job prospects on the other side of the ocean aren't very enticing. Main part of this job recession although, is because of world-wide oil prices decline. But since I'm a permanent employee with company operating in my home country so I am still employed and see no bad news coming up in our company for permanent employees.

Considering all the situation, I still, have made up my mind to make the move to settle in Australia, looking at the bigger picture.

What do you guys, still, advice under such circumstances?

Any advice from Mechanical Engineers in this forum will be an added flavor to the fruit.

Thank you all and have a great day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sorry for having posted this on the wrong section. Jobs and word was the right section of this forum for this post, I see that.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Impex seem big on fly in fly out during construction any way. Thy are at around $40 Billion US the biggest gas project in Australia, and behind schedule. Have you tried them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Impex seem big on fly in fly out during construction any way. Thy are at around $40 Billion US the biggest gas project in Australia, and behind schedule. Have you tried them?
Not really. Will look into it. Thanks for valuable information.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Just had a customer that works for these guys in, they are this year deciding if they need a second train. I do not understand the industry or its terminology but it is from Timor area. About gas, a few $billion, they have both in house and external engineers(companies contracted seems Perth?) currently. Also they are in the process of changes to the other contract currently running with new contractors (maybe $30,000,000ish).

I did not ask may questions to the guy but that is what I extracted from him, so research Impex and its contractors I suggest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had a customer that works for these guys in, they are this year deciding if they need a second train. I do not understand the industry or its terminology but it is from Timor area. About gas, a few $billion, they have both in house and external engineers(companies contracted seems Perth?) currently. Also they are in the process of changes to the other contract currently running with new contractors (maybe $30,000,000ish).

I did not ask may questions to the guy but that is what I extracted from him, so research Impex and its contractors I suggest.
Perfect. With the current oil prices, what I see, generally, is that companies are winding up projects or at least putting things on hold.

So, with respect to my moving and settling in Australia, I was also looking into changing industry type from Oil & gas to something that's more job-offering during these times. But I'm not sure if that's kinda easy to switch between industries, and that too with overseas experience.

But that's great to know that things are still promising and moving along with Oil & gas too. Will definitely work on it. Thank you yet again for this kind information. :)

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
No expert but I follow the markets a bit, seems a "tie" in gas to oil prices split, is not out of the question. So gas might get a fast revival?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No expert but I follow the markets a bit, seems a "tie" in gas to oil prices split, is not out of the question. So gas might get a fast revival?
Hoping for the best.

But a great deal of manpower, relating to oil n gas industry, across the globe, has been suffering some serious laying off from companies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr.

Hi all,
Recently, I got the 189 visa. I am Mechanical engineer having 5 years of experience in hvac design, execution and commissioning. I have applied for relevant jobs in many parts of Aussies including Sydney, Perth and Melbourne but not getting any responses.I am not able to figure out the reason behind the same. Could anybody please let me know which state in Aussies has got the more or good scope in hvac projects and engineering ?

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Hi all,
Recently, I got the 189 visa. I am Mechanical engineer having 5 years of experience in hvac design, execution and commissioning. I have applied for relevant jobs in many parts of Aussies including Sydney, Perth and Melbourne but not getting any responses.I am not able to figure out the reason behind the same. Could anybody please let me know which state in Aussies has got the more or good scope in hvac projects and engineering ?
Are you in Australia now ?

If not, the most likely reason you do not get replies is that you are not in Australia yet, and therefore unable to start work immediately.

If you are in Australia, you will soon know that few companies reply to all applications anyway. Normally too many applications for each job.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Are you in Australia if not the changes of getting one before you land are pretty much impossible.

Have you made sure your resume and cover letter are Australianised?

Just keep applying. Alot of skilled people can take up to 6 months to get a job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
Try your job applications at Perth as mining industry is forecasted to recover this 2016.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Try your job applications at Perth as mining industry is forecasted to recover this 2016.
1 July 2015

WA Economic Outlook - Westpac Bank

We expect growth in Western Australia to weaken in coming years, as mining investment declines further.
7 Jan 2016
ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
The headwinds that blew the Australian resources sector off course last year are likely to continue in 2016

2016 still expected to be a tough year for mining, oil and gas with big companies most likely to tough it out.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Total unemployment in WA increased to 93,400 - the highest number of West Australians out of work since the ABS moved to monthly jobs figures in the late 1970s.

It was driven by a surge of people coming into the West Australian jobs market but unable to find work.

Unemployment rate MALES looking for full-time work

West Australia

2.35% Dec-2006
2.91% Dec-2007
2.34% Dec-2008
3.92% Dec-2009
3.38% Dec-2010
3.26% Dec-2011
3.59% Dec-2012
4.36% Dec-2013
5.25% Dec-2014
5.78% Dec-2015

New South Wales

4.13% Dec-2006
4.13% Dec-2007
5.01% Dec-2008
5.79% Dec-2009
3.74% Dec-2010
4.66% Dec-2011
4.43% Dec-2012
5.51% Dec-2013
5.25% Dec-2014
4.54% Dec-2015

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Total unemployment in WA increased to 93,400 - the highest number of West Australians out of work since the ABS moved to monthly jobs figures in the late 1970s.

It was driven by a surge of people coming into the West Australian jobs market but unable to find work.

Unemployment rate MALES looking for full-time work

West Australia

2.35% Dec-2006
2.91% Dec-2007
2.34% Dec-2008
3.92% Dec-2009
3.38% Dec-2010
3.26% Dec-2011
3.59% Dec-2012
4.36% Dec-2013
5.25% Dec-2014
5.78% Dec-2015

New South Wales

4.13% Dec-2006
4.13% Dec-2007
5.01% Dec-2008
5.79% Dec-2009
3.74% Dec-2010
4.66% Dec-2011
4.43% Dec-2012
5.51% Dec-2013
5.25% Dec-2014
4.54% Dec-2015
Oh.. That seems alarming, particularly for WA. :eek:

Any idea if this rate includes engineers only or is it general list?

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
General list only. It gives an indication of two States.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.