Australia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a person on their BVA (820 onshore application in progress) can apply for a joint bank loan? Maybe its bank specific as I know some Credit Unions won't allow a non resident to apply for a bank account.

However my wife and I do have a joint bank account with one of the big 4 banks and would like to apply for a personal loan to purchase a new car in both our names.

Just thought I'd ask here before approaching the bank.
Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately no, we went through the same thing in late 2019. We're with Westpac and they told us no, they don't offer car loans to anyone that does not have permanent residency or citizenship. Several car dealerships we went to advised us the same thing, none of their lenders would approve if I wasn't on a PR yet. Not sure about any other type of loan though

My partner is aussie, so we ended up having to put our new car in just his name

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, same here one of the big four that we have joint bank acct with won't give us a home loan. But recently we have secured a home loan with Bank of Australia as I've been a customer with them myself (I'm the non permanent resident here). BoA is a small bank but they abide by ethical banking and nice ppl. Definitely recommend.

Claimer : I'm not a broker in anyway for any bank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts