Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am on a student visa since Feb 18 and have previously been on a de facto visa 820/801.
I had already applied for PR but the relationship ended and my ex-partner wanted out of the situation. I withdrew the visa in Dec 17.
My new partner is on a sponsorship visa 457 and has suggested for me to jump on his visa as a partner once my visa runs out next March 19.

I just talked to a laywer and he said it’s not possible to add a partner to a visa, however I have heard different from other sources.

Do you know anything about this and also if there is a restriction in regards to defacto visas?

The lawyer said that for the regular partner visa 820/801with a PR or citizen there is a 5 year restriction, valid from the date you first applied until the date the new visa is granted. I applied in 2014.

Thank you so much in advance!!
Sorry for the massive text! 😊

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
The 5 year restriction is for sponsors for 820/801, not for applicants.

But can you Partner sponsor you being on a 457 visa?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I‘m not sure, I have heard that you can have a visa that allows your partner to come on your visa. I have a friend who is an her boyfriend’s student visa...

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It can only be a permanent resident (or citizen) that can sponsor a 820 Partner Visa.

I believe (don't know much about 457) that the 457 did have a PR path, but your partner will need to be PR before you can consider this 820 visa. There may also be a partner sponsor limitation for them?? But I don't think it is the same as the 5 year sponsor limit between partner visa sponsorship.

They got lucky "boyfriends" do not get added to Student Visas - only "partners" get added if they can prove the relationship.

Be careful of the words you use & and clearly know you and your partners visas and the conditions attached.

P.S don't try cancel your Student Visa after applying for the 820 Partner Visa.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
There may be an option to apply for the new sc. 482 visa as a subsequent entrant. The sponsor limitation you referred to only applies to partner and parent visas. I can’t advise you on the limited information provided. I suggest you contact a Registered Migration Agent who knows what they are talking about and who can properly explain the available options to you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sure if your partner is on 457 visa then he can apply for a subsequent entrant visa for you.. all you need to do is to prove that your relationship is genuine..

Talk to a migrant agent please..don't try to find answers here.. you might be misguided

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.