Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a kiwi living and working in NZ who is seriously considering a move to Australia. I am trying to figure out if residency is possible at all in the near future if I do move to Aus.

Here are the facts:
  • I did not live in Australia before Feb 2001 (Did visit for a few weeks in 1999). Have visited numerous times after for short holidays
  • I did live and work in Australia for about 8 months in 2015 (Have Centrelink and drivers license, paid tax etc.)
  • My occupation (Electronic Engineering Technician) is on the skilled occupation list

2 Questions:

1. I cannot work out if it would be better to apply for the subclass 189 visa, points tested stream or the NZ stream. What's best? or another option perhaps?

2. One of the requirements for the subclass 189 NZ Stream visa is that "You must have started living here on or before 19 February 2016". Does me living there for 8 months in 2015 qualify me for this?

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
I am a kiwi living and working in NZ who is seriously considering a move to Australia. I am trying to figure out if residency is possible at all in the near future if I do move to Aus.

Here are the facts:
  • I did not live in Australia before Feb 2001 (Did visit for a few weeks in 1999). Have visited numerous times after for short holidays
  • I did live and work in Australia for about 8 months in 2015 (Have Centrelink and drivers license, paid tax etc.)
  • My occupation (Electronic Engineering Technician) is on the skilled occupation list

2 Questions:

1. I cannot work out if it would be better to apply for the subclass 189 visa, points tested stream or the NZ stream. What's best? or another option perhaps?

2. One of the requirements for the subclass 189 NZ Stream visa is that "You must have started living here on or before 19 February 2016". Does me living there for 8 months in 2015 qualify me for this?

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
I believe you get this visa upon entry - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/special-category-visa-subclass-444

You don't need to apply and entitles you to work, medicare and stay as long as you like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can get a 444 visa on arrival in Aus.

The eligibility for a 189 NZ stream (has a basic flowchart):

It seems a person can be eligible for a 189 NZ stream visa after living on a 444 visa for 4-5 years:
"You must have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of at least 5 years immediately before the date of your application."

8 months in 2015 might not be seen as "continuous period"

They need to satisfy the character/health/income requirement and show tax statements for 4 financial years.

"Your taxable income as shown on your Notice of Assessment, issued by the Australian Taxation Office, for each of the 4 completed financial years before you apply for this visa must be at, or above, the minimum income threshold listed in the relevant regulatory instrument for that income year."

I'm unsure how much you have to make every year, a Registered migration Agent would know, its worth contacting an agent for advice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get a 444 visa on arrival in Aus.

The eligibility for a 189 NZ stream (has a basic flowchart):

It seems a person can be eligible for a 189 NZ stream visa after living on a 444 visa for 4-5 years:
"You must have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of at least 5 years immediately before the date of your application."

8 months in 2015 might not be seen as "continuous period"

They need to satisfy the character/health/income requirement and show tax statements for 4 financial years.

"Your taxable income as shown on your Notice of Assessment, issued by the Australian Taxation Office, for each of the 4 completed financial years before you apply for this visa must be at, or above, the minimum income threshold listed in the relevant regulatory instrument for that income year."

I'm unsure how much you have to make every year, a Registered migration Agent would know, its worth contacting an agent for advice
Thanks Popcorn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.