Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaving Aus for 1 year while on temporary partner visa

688 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GeorgieB 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My husband (English) and I applied for the onshore temporary partner visa in January 2017. It was granted about 4 months ago. I understand we can apply for a permanent visa in Jan 2019 and it’s likely to take 1 year + to be assessed.

We would like to go to live in the UK for a year to enable my husband to do his masters (cost prohibitive here in Aus) and spend time with his grandfather who is terminally ill. The course starts in September this year and goes through to about July 2019.

As I understand it, you can leave/enter Australia as many times as you want as long as you return when your permanent visa is granted to “activate” it. I feel like it is unlikely to be granted before we return but if it is we could always go back to Aus temporarily and then go back to finish off the course.

I just wanted to check that though. Is it OK to apply for the permanent visa from overseas? Are there any other issues? Given the cost of this visa was pretty crippling I’d hate to screw it up, that’s for sure!!

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your response! I thought you needed to re-upload documents and stuff, so I assumed it was a new application. Anyway, that is good to know. So there is no issue with being overseas for 1 year? I would probably apply for a working holiday visa for the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.