Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have applied for the 820 visa in April and am currently on a bridging visa.
Due to not being able to get that good of a job without a full visa we are both considering heading to the UK where we can both work. We would ideally stay there until I get permanent residency. Would DIAC possibly let me skip the 820 TR part and grant me 801 after 2 years without me returning to Australia. Alternatively would they inform me of a date to pop back to get the 820 granted?

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
DIAC would only put you straight through to permanent residency (skipping the 820) if you have been married or in a defacto relationship (with evidence of that) for three years or more, or two years+ if you have a child together. This is not something you have to request - it's something they automatically do if you qualify.

Also, you're not going to be able to leave Australia permanently while it's processing. If you're on a Bridging Visa A, you can apply for a Bridging Visa B to travel abroad for a short period of time (usually not more than three months). If you leave without getting a Bridging Visa B, or if you don't come back by the time your Bridging Visa B expires, your Bridging Visa A would be cancelled and you'd be unable to get back onshore to have your 820 granted (you MUST be onshore when it's granted).

If, however, you're currently NOT on a Bridging Visa A, but another Bridging Visa (like a BVE) you won't be able to apply for the BVB, and leaving the country would immediately cancel your bridging visa and make you unable to get back onshore for the approval of your 820.

The good news is that once your 820 is granted, you can leave Australia. You can be anywhere in the world when your PR is granted.

Keep in mind that anytime you spend out of the country is time that won't count towards qualifying for citizenship.

Also, PR allows you to live indefinitely in Australia, and to come and go as you please for five years. At the end of that five years, though, you can continue to reside in Australia - but if you go offshore, you'll have to apply for a Resident Return Visa to get back onshore, and you won't qualify if you haven't lived in Australia for at least 2 of the previous five years. (There are exceptions for people with "significant ties" to Australia but that exception is very hard to get.)

Reactions: Whitney and BonezAU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is there any chance that when I get assigned a case worker, probably in about 12 months time that they could advise me that the visa is about to be processed. I could then pop back to Australia on a tourist visa to get it granted and then leave again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!
I was wondering though if I could just leave for the time being until I am told that I have been assigned a case worker. They would then be able to tell me a likely date for the visa being granted and I would pop back on a tourist visa. Could this work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Reply!

I was more wondering if I could just leave Australia for the time being and let DIAC know that i'm out of the country. Then when i get assigned a case worker, they could let me know when i need to come back to get the visa granted. I would then just pop back on a tourist visa. Could this work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.