Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just read somewhere of someone being granted 801 and 820 visas on the same day 2 years and 1 month after applying. Is this not an unusual occurrence?

How/why would this happen?

Does this mean that the grantee applied onshore then had to wait 25 months before being able to work?

Do I misunderstand the process?

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I have just read somewhere of someone being granted 801 and 820 visas on the same day 2 years and 1 month after applying. Is this not an unusual occurrence?

How/why would this happen?

Does this mean that the grantee applied onshore then had to wait 25 months before being able to work?

Do I misunderstand the process?

Thanks for any comments.
Sometimes if the 820 takes longer than 2 years to process, the CO will go ahead and process the 820 and the 801 since the person is at that point eligible for the 801 as well (eligibility is 2 years from app date). No this does not happen often as not many 820s take over 2 years to process.

And yes you are misunderstanding the process. A BVA is granted with full work rights once the 820/801 app is made and the BVA goes into effect when the current visa ends. So unless that person was on a visa that didn't allow them to work and lasted 25 months, and did not end in time for the BVA to kick in, they should have had the BVA active with work rights at some point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And yes you are misunderstanding the process. A BVA is granted with full work rights once the 820/801 app is made and the BVA goes into effect when the current visa ends. So unless that person was on a visa that didn't allow them to work and lasted 25 months, and did not end in time for the BVA to kick in, they should have had the BVA active with work rights at some point.
Many thanks for the explanation. Now I understand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.