Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Assessing visa options and can not seem to find any information regarding the acceptable length of relationship before applying for a perspective marriage visa.. Can anyone please help out?

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
There is no golden rule for this. It would all depend on your particular circumstances. It is important that you have actually met in person and it would be reasonable to expect that you would have been in contact for several months before deciding to get engaged.Other factors they would look at is the approval/involvement of family members, especially parents, local customs etc.Some more information would be helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick reply. First met during a recent holiday to Europe (no previous history), and lived together for three weeks. Shes coming to visit me in Australia for three weeks in May and to meet my family. I am on very good terms with her family and spent much time with them. We are both the same age, late twenties. As she is from a non-WHV country, I have come to the conclusion that PMV or that I move there are our only options. How many months as a ball park figure would be suitable and acceptable to gain a PMV?

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I think once she has visited you and all goes well, you might consider getting the application process under way.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I have done quite a few, yes, but each case should be considered on its own merits. My responses on this forum are of a general nature only and not should not be considered as being applicable to specific cases. It really would depend on the totality of your evidence and relationship history when the best time is to lodge the application.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply. First met during a recent holiday to Europe (no previous history), and lived together for three weeks. Shes coming to visit me in Australia for three weeks in May and to meet my family. I am on very good terms with her family and spent much time with them. We are both the same age, late twenties. As she is from a non-WHV country, I have come to the conclusion that PMV or that I move there are our only options. How many months as a ball park figure would be suitable and acceptable to gain a PMV?
I assume that you both want to get marry? With the PMV, you will need to marry within 9 months of the application being approved.

I think everyone's relationship is different so a ball park figure is really hard to come up with. If you feel confident that you will have enough information and evidence to prove that you have a genuine relationship then go ahead and apply after she visits you. Personally I would probably just wait a little longer to gather a little more evidence so I felt a little more comfortable with my application but that's just my personal opinion. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for your replies. You assumed right, we both would like to get married. I do not want it to seem as rushed, but I am worried about these crazy long application processing times.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. You assumed right, we both would like to get married. I do not want it to seem as rushed, but I am worried about these crazy long application processing times.
I totally understand, it sure isn't easy.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
As has been said everyone's relationship is different. For my husband and I (were applied for the PMV and are now married) we submitted our application after 6 months (would have been sooner but some people take ages to write statements and back then had no online option).

We met in person (not online) and after the first meeting I visited him again and the was in the middle of a second visit when the application was submitted.

Everyone's is different but this will just give you can idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The waiting times for the PMV and partner visas are crazily long! What do people do in the meantime? Live apart? Does immigration really not know that it is affecting people and families?

Is there any way around the living apart? Anyway to still live together while applying for the PMV?

·
Super Moderator
2,099 Posts
The waiting times for the PMV and partner visas are crazily long! What do people do in the meantime? Live apart? Does immigration really not know that it is affecting people and families?

Is there any way around the living apart? Anyway to still live together while applying for the PMV?
Yes in the past you had to live apart but now a lot of people apply for a PMV then get a tourist visa and spend some of the wait with their partner in Australia. The only thing is to remember to tell your CO so they can advise you to leave Australia so as your visa can be issued.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes in the past you had to live apart but now a lot of people apply for a PMV then get a tourist visa and spend some of the wait with their partner in Australia. The only thing is to remember to tell your CO so they can advise you to leave Australia so as your visa can be issued.
On a tourist visa, one cannot work or study (for more than 3 months) and even if they study, it's very expensive.

So basically, one cannot do anything productive?

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
So basically, one cannot do anything productive?
Pretty much. You can volunteer but has to be something that an Australian would not get paid doing.

But you get to be with your partner that is the most important thing - alot of people would dream to be able to come here on a tourist visa while the visa is processing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.