Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the threads here are about finding a full time job and let me share my experience seeking an engineering internship in Australia as an international student.

Well, forget about all the big companies (Inpex, RioTinto, Origin, AECOM and the likes), as they only take Citizens and PRs

Now about small firms, well, I tried cold calling a few of them, and since they usually don't have a HR department what I called is just the general, front desk number. Most of them replied me something like 'as far as I know we're not interested in taking any interns' with a few directly saying 'I'm sorry but this is not the right number you should call'.

As the 12 weeks internship is part of the course requirement to graduate, I MUST complete it, so i started volunteering myself to work for free. I've started sending out cold emails to various companies volunteering myself to work 12 weeks unpaid and so far non of them replied.

In a few weeks time if i still don't get any reply I might need to approach and pay close to $3000 for those agencies to help me secure an unpaid intern.

To international students that are studying, or plan to study engineering in Australia: your biggest challenge is not the course itself but rather fulfilling the internship requirement. Most of my peers only got a conditional graduation cert and they have to go back to their home country to work after completing the whole course, to gather the 12 weeks working experience for the graduation cert

Those who stayed ultimately didn't managed to find any job related to their major because = no internship (summer vacation placement) = no graduate position + no official graduation cert = no related working experience = could not climb career ladder

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.