Australia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Does anyone have any advice on lifting working restrictions on a BVA?

I'm not entirely sure of the process.

Here is my history.

I applied for a partner of a NZ citizen. Subclass 461.
Automatically granted a BVA with the same restrictions as my WHV.

I had the restrictions lifted on the WHV until the date it expires.

Now my BVA comes into effect from next week with 6 month restrictions on working for same employer.

Do I simply apply for a new BVA requesting a lift on work restrictions. I'm not in financial hardship and I've worked with employer for a year, so they are keen to keep me on. They could sponsor me but likely not when I have another application in process.

Very confused.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
8547 - Not work for one employer for more than 6 months

You must not be employed by any one employer for more than 6 months, without the prior permission in writing of the Secretary.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
You should be able to complete and submit form 1005 which is an application to change conditions on a bridging visa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for response.

That form is very much financially focused. Is that the only reason they would lift it?
Hey @trex1985 — I'm in the same boat as you currently: Applied for a partner of a NZ citizen (subclass 461) and automatically granted a BVA with the same restrictions as my WHV (8547: 6 month restriction).

I would like to use form 1005 to lift my restrictions as well, and what discouraged me was that it does seem very financially focused as you previously mentioned.

I'm curious if you ended up applying with form 1005 at all and did you get your restrictions lifted? Just been a bit tough to see that processing times for 461 visa jumped to over 3 years (versus 2 when I had initially applied) and not being able to progress in my career during this time because of this restriction.

Would appreciate hearing about your experience, hope your 461 has been granted by now too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey @trex1985 — I'm in the same boat as you currently: Applied for a partner of a NZ citizen (subclass 461) and automatically granted a BVA with the same restrictions as my WHV (8547: 6 month restriction).

I would like to use form 1005 to lift my restrictions as well, and what discouraged me was that it does seem very financially focused as you previously mentioned.

I'm curious if you ended up applying with form 1005 at all and did you get your restrictions lifted? Just been a bit tough to see that processing times for 461 visa jumped to over 3 years (versus 2 when I had initially applied) and not being able to progress in my career during this time because of this restriction.

Would appreciate hearing about your experience, hope your 461 has been granted by now too!

Hey,

Here is my situation, so if you are any worse off then I don't see an issue.

I came here on a working holiday visa and had restrictions lifted when I applied for 461.
I asked for BVA to be lifted so I could continue in my current role.

I gave them an honest break down of income and outgoing.
I earn 145k and my wife earns 120k.
Our rent is 575/week.
Neither of us are entitled to any benefits if we lost our jobs - so I noted that we were saving for this reason.
I added a break down of our expenses. We are debt free so only really had bare min expenses here. (Bills, car, insurance, reg ,transport etc, health insurance, dental, groceries).
All our expense left us with 3/4 of our income and this is fine.

I think it's fine, if you have work - they want you to keep that work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And yes I got my restrictions lifted. Zero issues. Filled the form in myself.
Congrats, I'm happy for you @trex1985 ! And thanks for listing out the details of your application. I will definitely use some of the arguments you mentioned.

One question I have is: did they remove the work limitation completely or did they only extend it from 6 months to 12 months? (I've seen online that the extension gets extended likely up to 12 months, but of course I'm hoping for a complete lift of the limitation overall).

Will be working on my 1005 this weekend, thanks a lot. Your shared experience is very helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They removed it completely. Good luck with it, it’s always daunting cause their rules are so neutral but I think generally they are very lenient

1 - 9 of 9 Posts