Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prior thread on here that would not let me post. I have a list of misc alcohol related charges that cause me to fail the character test (from over 10 years ago).

My girlfriend has returned to Melbourne due to a family emergency. We would like to spend our life together but the prospect of me never being able to come to your country (even for a visit) makes it far more difficult to consider. I was foolish and made some mistakes. I admittedly look bad on paper (from age 18-25, I had misc drunk driving, assault, etc). I do not wish to downplay these whatsoever. They are serious (despite the actual situations be far less so than it would sound). I made poor decisions and paid the price. I am 36 now and a completely different person.

I have zero doubt that my application would be denied at face value.

I'm simply curious if I would have a better likelihood of gaining entry by actually flying there from the United States, well dressed with several dozen letters of character (from both US and Australian Citizens), some sort of certificate from a psychologist or the like that I am rehabilitated, a clean record for 10 years, etc. Being honest and forthcoming on my visa card and seeing if I get luck at the discretion of the customs officer vs applying blindly through the internet or an agent?

Can I apply in person at the Australian Embassy in the United States? I really feel a face to face would help. However I do not know the limitations of border securities discretion. Even if the chances are small, IF they are greater with me actually there, it is worth the chance. Also I could fly in and have an immigration attorney meet me at customs? I guess I don't know how to proceed with the greatest odds.

This woman is the most incredible partner I could ever dream of. We have spent 4 fabulous years together and wish to be married and have a family. I have a good career (in a highly regulated financial industry), and she has a visa in the US as well to return to work as a Social Worker. I would do anything to find a way to not lose our future dreams. I do understand though that her family is there and parents are aging. It is difficult to imagine having to choose between me and the rest of her life. I understand and respect the purpose of immigration regulations. I just with there was a point where you were determined to have redeemed yourself and be able to move forward in your life.

On a similar but different note, I have seem many inquiries here regarding character issues. They never seem to update with any outcome.

For the anyone here, have you ever seen someone with criminal record gain entry? What is the most severe record you have ever known to actually accomplish doing so? What helps the most to improve your odds?

Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i suspect that investing a couple of hundred $ and having a video call with one of the agents here might be a wise investment.
something this important probably isn't worth taking advice from the internet, no matter how well intentioned

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started communication with an immigration agent/attorney named Mark last month but fell out of actively pursuing this her last few weeks to appreciate the time together. He has been very helpful. I just am sitting here without her on Christmas and any feedback or thoughts are great while he is on holiday. Also. A wide net of users may have personal experience or knowledge based on experience they have seen or heard of success or failure. I always hear call an agent. I'm just curious if there is actually anyone that has done so and made it.

Happy holidays. I'm jealous of your marvelous weather right now vs the frigid cold I'm "enjoying".

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Applying on arrival is no option. Furthermore, no airline woud let you board without a visa. The only thing you can do is apply for a visa the prescribed way, with a full disclosure of your criminal history and a detailed submission outlining your rehabilitation and your ties to an Australian citizen. To be honest, I don’t like your chances in the current political environment , especially with assault ( domestics violence?) charges, but it may be worth giving it a shot. I suggest you resume contact with the person you were dealing with before. If it is Mark N., you will be in good hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Applying on arrival is no option. Furthermore, no airline woukd let you board without a visa. The only thing you can do is apply for a visa the prescribed way, with a full disclosure of your criminal history and a detailed submission outlining your rehabilitation and your ties to an Australian citizen. To be honest, I don't like your chances in the current political environment , especially with assault ( domestics violence?) charges, but it may be worth giving it a shot. I suggest you resume contact with the person you were dealing with before. If it is Mark N., you will be in good hands.
Thank you. My assumption is: "Your first shot is your best shot." I would presume that once you are denied, appealing the decision would be even more difficult and worse off than where I currently am sitting.

I admittedly haven't been very privy to the current political climate there (we have more than enough to tune out on this side of the pond). I do however know that some fairly recent posts did not make the current PM sound very favorable to immigration/visa character issues. I will have to do more reading. I appreciate your forthcomingness. While hope is always nice, reality is what matters.

As far as the Visa to board a flight, I assumed with the USA being a visa waiver country it would be a non-issue until customs/entry. Also, I fly standby (mother is a airline retiree) which may cut some of that red tape. Regardless, it sounds like it wouldn't make a difference in that regard and is not really of benefit in an attempt.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my posts as well as those of others. It is very generous of your time.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
As far as the Visa to board a flight, I assumed with the USA being a visa waiver country it would be a non-issue until customs/entry. Also, I fly standby (mother is a airline retiree) which may cut some of that red tape. Regardless, it sounds like it wouldn't make a difference in that regard and is not really of benefit in an attempt.

Forget it. Without a visa linked to your passport, no airline in the world will let you board a plane bound for Australia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget it. Without a visa linked to your passport, no airline in the world will let you board a plane bound for Australia.
Got it! I just read the actual ETA visa process and saw where it itemized the condition on my issue. I'd discovered this restriction prior to ever actually trying to apply for one. Short of dishonesty on that (which would be very counterproductive). So much for that idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.