Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'm very close to lodge my application and I've been collecting documents the last couple of months, and I believe I should have everything the ask for (going through the booklet and getting tips and advice here).

But now I've got a question about when I should apply, or if I should wait. This is my situation:
I've been in Australia for 1,5 years, first student visa for 5 months then WHV. I met my boyfriend last year during my WHV, it expired December last year and I went home to my family during Christmas. Now I'm back again on a tourist visa so that I can apply for an onshore defacto visa. We've been living together since beginning of August last year, and I've got a contract from another place from April to August, which is my proof why I didn't move in with him earlier. So I will state that our defacto relationship started beginning of April (when the contract started), but we felt that our relationship started a bit earlier, and we met in March.

As soon as I came back I registered our relationship to the state of Victoria, but it takes 28 days whatever you do to go through. I did not know they meant WORKING days, so I can't lodge it this week as I was hoping for.

So to my question, I'm running out of money, saving a lot of what I have for the visa and after that I won't have much more. Would it be alright for me to lodge the application before I receive the relationship certificate? It will come within 1,5 weeks. Cause I really want that bridging visa so that I can work! Maybe if I state this in the application it will be fine?

I made a call to IMMI earlier on to see if I could apply before I got the certificate, and the lady said you may but I would not recommend it since it's about a lot of money, and if you don't have enough proof when they go through your applicaction I might get rejecte and loose all that money. Which would be devastating.

Have anyone done anything similar? The booklet also sates that the 12 months rule can be waived under other certain circumstances that we in that case have to state in the application. Could this be one, me really need to work to be able to pay rent? And as soon as we get the certificate we will upload it.

Good to mention, I will do an online application. I'm too scared to lodge it if I loose all that money but if someone has done this before already, maybe I will apply a week before I get the certificate. And there's a bit more than a month away until we actually meet the 12 months defacto rule, if my proof is good enough. So maybe I can get go by the certain circcumstances rule too...

Also, from what I understand you get the bridging visa right after you've lodged the application online. Will I have to wait until my tourist visa expires (in April) or will I get the work permit right away? If not then there's no reason for me to rush it.

Any help or tips are much appreciated, cheers!
Mayfrid

·
Registered
666 Posts
You must lodge the certificate WITH your application. If it is dated after you make your application they will not accept it.
Also although you get the bridging visa issued immediately,it will not come into effect until your tourist visa ends!!

given what you have said I would wait until April to lodge and then you have more evidence,more time living together and a certificate that is dated before your application date

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi Mayfrid, your bridging visa won't take effect until your current visa expires, so lodging your application sooner won't actually help you be able to work sooner.

I would wait for the relationship certificate to arrive and lodge a complete application :)

Reactions: Mayfrid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies Valentine 1981 and Star Hunter! I will then wait to loge my application.

It does make me a bit confused though, at other places in this forum people have said that they've got the bridging visa right away with work rights? Does that only apply for certain visas?

Cheers

·
Registered
575 Posts
You will get the bridging visa straight away, but it won't take effect until your current visa expires. A lot of people leave lodging their visas until the very last minute so their bridging visa pretty much does take effect straight away. You used to be able to lodge in person and a lot of people would go to the office the day before their visa expired to lodge their visa, so you might be reading those stories :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I see. I've read a few different things but I guess you're right, they got the bridging visa but it won't go in effect until the tourist visa expires (or whatever visa they're on).

Gosh, both good and bad news... I'm going broke :S But thanks a lot for your advise I know what I have to do now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Haha Valentine! I totally agree. Mayfrid, we totally understand the feeling of being broke ;) We should start up a food swap or bartering system amongst ourselves in order to alleviate the emigration induced poverty, lol.

Good luck with your application!

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Just one thing I will mention is that some people have mentioned that they have had trouble getting jobs on a working visa. I imagine though if you apply for jobs in retail, factories etc you probably won't have an issue would just be jobs in specific fields. But any job is better than no job.

I think all of us on this forum are broke! I am open for suggestions on a budget wedding :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Applied!

Hi again, I forgot to write a follow up on this before so I'll do it now, better late then never right!

So I got the relationship certificate the week after, which means it doesn't take 28 working days, just 28 days. Then it takes a few days for them to send the certificate I guess. I paid for express post which would take 1-2 days, that's why I thought I would've recieved it sooner. Thought it might be good for others to know this if they're registering their relationship. And I did it in Victoria/Melbourne btw.

As soon as I got the certificate I submitted my application online and started to upload documents. And two days after I had uploaded everything I had for the application. So now my waiting time starts, all fingers crossed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.