Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the process of filing our application for an 820 Partner visa onshore. My fiancé is from the USA and she is in the country currently.

We have been engaged since July 2016 and have not set dates for a wedding, as we are not in a rush to do so.

Can anyone foresee an issue with us lodging for de facto while engaged?

Thank you,

D

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
There is no need to be engaged or even married for the 820, you just need to prove the 12 month+ relationship, normally living together for that time is the easy way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JandE, I understood this also.

My concern is us being engaged, while applying for a "De facto" visa. We have been together since 2010, just only being together for short periods while we are allowed visas. Overall we have had well over 12 months living together, just in smaller periods.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Being engaged is not relevant in that context, although if anything it would be a positive.

You and your partner are in a de facto partner relationship if
you are not legally married to each other (no reason why you can't be engaged)
you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis

We got engaged before applying for our first step in this visa route. Although ours needed a commitment to get married.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again JandE. That gives me some further comfort in what direction we are taking.

We don't chose to be apart during the times we are, just visa periods or work commitments that separate us.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Thanks again JandE. That gives me some further comfort in what direction we are taking.

We don't chose to be apart during the times we are, just visa periods or work commitments that separate us.
Being able to prove your committed relationship, supporting each other, etc., might be an issue. Depending on your full circumstances.

If in doubt, it might be worth checking the application with a Migration agent before submitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.