Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently in a LDR with my partner who resides in Australia and is an Australian Citizen. While i'm based in Hong Kong. We've been together for 7 months now, and we will be married end of next December in 2018.

Due to religious reasons, we will not live together until after marriage.Though we have been visiting each other every 2-3 months.

The wedding will be in HK and i plan to move to Australia after the wedding.

I've been reading a lot of posts saying the disadvantages of LDR towards 309.

So i'm exploring the chances of PMV as well...so most likely sign a dummy wedding certificate in HK, and legally marry in Australia instead.

What are your thoughts?

My aim is to be with my wife as soon as possible in Australia, and to also be able to work as well.

Please if anyone have any wise insights!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PMV can marry anywhere in the world? I was under the impression that once the visa is approved, i have nine months to travel to Australia to marry in Australia?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, ok, i just got it on the Aust Gov immi website...

"Your obligations

You can get married in Australia or any other country but you must have entered Australia at least once on the Prospective Marriage visa before you marry.

The marriage must be valid under Australian law."

So if this is the case, it's if i can get the visa before next December....tight timeline....

Just to reconfirm, the 9 months starts ticking down after i've travelled to Australia and activated the visa right? then i can get marry and work/stay in Australia until the 9 months runs out (which i should have already lodged for the provisional partner visa onshore)

And when the PMV expires and the PPV is not approved, i should be on Bridging Visa i suppose?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
No, the 9 months begins once the visa is granted. The visa grant will have all the information you need (must enter by date, expiry date). Once you have the 300, you must enter Australia at least once before the "must enter by" date and then you can marry anywhere. Once married and once back in Australia, you would apply for the 820/801 from 300 before the 300 expires. If the 820 is not granted before the 300 expires, your bridging visa A (that will be granted once the 820/801 is applied for) will go into effect allowing you to remain in Australia until a decision is made on the 820.

On the 300, you will have full work rights and travel rights to leave and reenter Oz.

On the BVA, you will have full work rights but will need to apply for the BVB if you need to leave Australia as the BVB allows you to reenter.

The 820 has full work rights and travel rights. The wait times are meant to be accelerated for 820 from 300 applicants so you do not wait the average wait times for a straight 820.

You are eligible for medicare once you have applied for the 820/801.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You are able to consider applying for a subclass 309 partner visa once you are married. Much of the advice and commentary on this forum is given by people who have experienced a visa application and not by qualified Registered Migration Agents. You have plenty of time to set things up and do a partner visa application as soon as you are married.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jeremy,

Yes i've considered 309, but it takes roughly 11 months to process...are there any ways i could be with my wife in Oz during this wait and will i be able to work?

I would have to second Skybluebrewer as 300 gives me full work rights and travel rights to leave and reenter Oz

i mean, i can lodge the 309 right after we marry, but then i'm not going to wait for 1 year in HK to get the response....plus, if i'm not living together with my wife in Oz....it just makes things harder....

So if, say, i apply for 300 now, and managed to get is within 12 months...it would be much much easier for me

just that i'm not sure if i can get within 12 months...as i'm getting wed end of Dec next year....

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
There are 3 partner visa options. The best option depends on your circumstances. I only meant to clarify how one of them works.

I will say wait times vary greatly and there's no telling if you'll wait a few months or over a year, regardless of which visa you choose.

If you meet the requirements for a 309, then there's no reason not to apply for that one straight away. The 300 was better for my partner and I in a LDR because we would not have met de facto requirements and did not minding marrying within the 9 months of the visa grant, whenever that was. We had already decided that if the visa grant didn't line up with the day we wanted to do the big wedding, we would just marry legally at the registry office and do the wedding after. Turns out, the visa was granted in May and we wanted to do our wedding in March the following year (more than 9 months away). So we did as planned and married at the registry office only telling close friends and family then had the big wedding the following year (which most people thought was the official one - we even signed fake certificates the day of). Didn't bother us as the only thing we cared about was getting to be together in Oz, but not everyone likes that route and want the legal marriage same day as the wedding.

I'm telling you this because if you go the 300 route, you two must be willing to be flexible. If the grant comes straight away and the 300 will expire before your planned wedding date, you need to be prepared to either move the wedding or marry legally then do the wedding after. Same goes the other way... many people have planned to marry and that date had passed while they were still waiting for the visa (there is an option to change the 300 to 309 if you marry before the 300 grant but that has it's own stipulations) and they had to move the wedding date forward.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of posts saying the disadvantages of LDR towards 309.

So i'm exploring the chances of PMV as well.

My aim is to be with my wife as soon as possible in Australia, and to also be able to work as well.

Please if anyone have any wise insights!!!

Thanks!
You can not do a de facto until you hit 12 months of a relationship (unless registered but that's a technicality only)- but as you have meet in person you can apply for a PMV now (not a 309 in 5 months).

With no seen issues, the PMV would be by far the fasted to be with your wife and be able to work in Australia (your aim) but you may need to bring the wedding forward if anything.

If there is a issue with the 309 that you can do in 5 months time - the exact same issue "delay" will be with a PMV and the other way around.

* So with your aim the PMV is the fastest to be in OZ and work.

* A 309 you have time to submit a good application in 5 months time, then wait - you may get a Visitor Visa but no work and will need go offshore fore grant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for your input, yes i know there are 3 options, and like you said, being in a LDR, 300 seems like the best option...and i honestly doubt the PMV will be granted within 3 months...which then i have to move the wedding forward....or register at a registry office...

Your timeline just seems too good to be true....how long have you been in LDR when you applied for PMV? Cause they do ask for proof of relationship and etc...

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Sky did a hell of a lot of research before the PMV application and I have zero doubt it was a higher than normal application on the DIY front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I could tell Sky did lots of research~

I just came up with a few questions:

1) is PMV’s acceptance rate usually higher than 309? If rejected, is the payment of AUD7000 is forfeited?

2) if the PMV did not get approved in time and we had to get wed prior to the acceptance, we should withdraw the application and request to proceed with 309....if this is the case are we charged the full AUD7000 for the 309 again?

3) is there any tips or things we can provide to ensure a higher acceptance rate?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I just came up with a few questions:

1) is PMV’s acceptance rate usually higher than 309? If rejected, is the payment of AUD7000 is forfeited?

* all payments of $7K are lost - PMV requires less evidence, so it would get less refusals. Just meet the criteria.

2) if the PMV did not get approved in time and we had to get wed prior to the acceptance, we should withdraw the application and request to proceed with 309....if this is the case are we charged the full AUD7000 for the 309 again?

* Don't with draw - you just notify DIBP to change it to a 309 application - no extra fee.

3) is there any tips or things we can provide to ensure a higher acceptance rate?

* Do your homework.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
There's not much of a point in looking at my timeline as I applied from a different country two years ago. PMVs from the US now are taking 9-10 months or longer.

Wait times seem to get longer and longer as time goes on. Every now and then, they'll pull well done completed applications out of the queue and those people will get grants very quickly, while the majority wait much longer. Seems to be pure luck but having a well-done completed application ensures a CO can make a decision when they do get to your app which ultimately speeds up the process (as opposed to being asked to supply something like a police check, then waiting a few weeks to a few months to get it depending on your country, all the while knowing your app is going nowhere until the CO has everything they need).

You should try and search through this forum for people applying from the same country as you and get an idea of how long 300s are taking. If it's less than 6 months, get your police checks and Medicals done within a couple months of applying. If it's taking closer to a year, wait until closer to that to do those two. They are only valid for 12 months so you don't want to do them too early, especially since your "must make first entry" date is usually based on their expiry.

All other requirements should be uploaded once you submit the application.

How to ensure success? It's not enough to just be in a genuine relationship; you must be able to prove it to a complete stranger (CO) through hard evidence. A quick search through this forum for examples of relationship evidence will give you plenty of options. You can look under examples for any of the partner visas for ideas. Keep in mind you don't need the same thorough amount as a de facto couple but if you have the evidence, show it.

Throughout the process, think about how your app will be viewed by a total stranger. A bunch of selfies of you and your partner have far less weight than photos of you two with friends and family, with significant landmarks in the background on holiday (e.g., Sydney harbour bridge, statue of liberty, etc), or photos over time (for example, I used photos of my partner with my child over time where his growth in age was obvious. Similar can be done with hair/beards, weight gain/loss, pets, etc). 20 photos is about all we supplied, but they were in addition to hard evidence (flights to visit each other, flights/hotel receipts from holidays, invitation to weddings or parties from friends or family, etc).

Many people choose to use an RMA to help with their application. Of course you still have to gather the evidence but they present it well and give you that outsider's view on your relationship. We did not use an RMA but had often wished we had during the waiting process just for peace of mind that the application would more likely be successful. You can do it on your own but like ampk said, you'll need to do your homework. I started researching long before I applied and then eventually joined the forum to share my experience.

Also, if you have a question, chances are it's been answered on this forum at some point. Be wary of old posts though as things change all the time.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I never understood how pulling a completed app out of queue is any faster than pulling a completed app at the front of the line. It's so random sometimes it's ridiculous. But perhaps it has more to do with where the app is sent for processing but you'd think they'd all be in one pool and pulled in order. Hopefully the new changes help with the pipeline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just want to drop a big thank you for all the mates here for the detailed and sound advice.

I have been all over the internet for a week or so, doing homework and research, and i still find this forum most helpful.

During my search, i see many people sharing their advices for PMV from US, UK, Philippines, Brazil, Taiwan, but not Hong Kong...

So i've decided to journal my journey here on this forum to help other HK friends.

I'm currently filling the 47SP form, and will submit the form sometime in Jan.

Will give you all an update then, meanwhile, feel free to share any expert opinion you may have!

Thanks again~

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.