Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to AU for the first time last year on an ETA, was there for 3 months, came back to the U.S., applied for my partner visa. I am hoping to go back to AU at the end of February. My original ETA is still valid until May. This only gives me two months of visit time, however, until
I have to leave again. I am wondering if I can apply for a Long Term visa right now from America or if I can travel to AU on my ETA and then apply for the Long Term visa from Australia? If it is granted, could I stay longer without having to leave? And could any of this have any effect on my Partner visa?

I remember reading one woman's story about how it caused her partner visa to be denied because her ETA expired before her other visa had been approved, but due to some error she was given wrong information and thought she was okay to be in AU.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I think the reason you're not getting responses is that no one's ever heard of a "Long Term visa," heh. :) Are you talking about a Visitor Visa, Subclass 600? If so, then yes, I believe you can apply for one of those to extend your stay once you're already in Australia on an ETA. Tourist visas aren't my niche, though, so hopefully someone else can come along and confirm that for you. :) None of it will have an effect on your partner visa AS LONG AS you make sure you are always LEGALLY in the country - i.e., if by the time your ETA is about set to expire, you haven't heard about the 600 (you should have, but if you haven't), you hound Immi and find out what's going on, because if you don't have the 600 yet you'll need to get offshore before your ETA expires. That's where that other person ran into issues. You can't be in Australia without a valid visa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.