Australia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am an Indian citizen planning to pursue a PhD in Australia. I was accepted into the postgraduate research program with a full financial scholarship, and the program was supposed to commence in June 2021. I lodged the student visa application on 17 April 2021, following which I was asked by the DHA for more information (Forms 80 & 1221, details of intended research and immigration health checks) on 04 May 2021. Due to the second wave of Covid-19 in my country, it took some time for me to get the immigration health exam, forcing me to defer my PhD to the next term (which was due to commence in September 2021). By the end of June 2021, I had provided all the information requested by the DHA (including immigration health checks), and had uploaded the new CoE and OSHC policy certificate along with a 'Notification of change in circumstances' form detailing the updated CoE code, course dates and OSHC policy dates.

The application was last updated on 06 July 2021, when its status changed to 'Further Assessment'. Since then I have not heard anything from the DHA or my case officer. Due to the continued delay in visa processing, I had to defer my course twice more; I uploaded the new CoE and OSHC along with the 'Notification of change in circumstances' form both times, with the latest CoE uploaded last week for the term starting in June 2022. I was reminded by the university that this is the last time I can defer my admission - if I am unable to enroll in the term starting from June 2022, my admission will be withdrawn.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me regarding my application. This is not the first time I have applied for an Australian visa, my previous Temporary Work Visa and Student Visa (Non-award sector), were both granted within a month, though this was before the pandemic in 2019. What could be the reason for this massive delay? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Pursuant to s65 the minister must process visa applications, unless they are capped and ceased or withdrawn, but except for protection visas does not have to do so in any particular time frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Komal, I’m a prospective PhD student at UNSW, Sydney and I’m going through the same situation as yours. I lodged my visa on 13 January, 2021. It has been 15 months and I’ve still not gotten my visa. My application is under “further assessment” since March, 2021 and since then there has been no status update. I have mailed the DHA multiple times but they send the same generic response every time. I too have no idea whom to contact. I have already deferred 3 times until now and if I cannot enrol before 30 May, 2022 I’ll lose my scholarship as well as place at the university. I’m not even sure if it’s a good idea to withdraw the application and re-apply. Have you heard anything from the DHA since you posted on this forum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Komal, I’m a prospective PhD student at UNSW, Sydney and I’m going through the same situation as yours. I lodged my visa on 13 January, 2021. It has been 15 months and I’ve still not gotten my visa. My application is under “further assessment” since March, 2021 and since then there has been no status update. I have mailed the DHA multiple times but they send the same generic response every time. I too have no idea whom to contact. I have already deferred 3 times until now and if I cannot enrol before 30 May, 2022 I’ll lose my scholarship as well as place at the university. I’m not even sure if it’s a good idea to withdraw the application and re-apply. Have you heard anything from the DHA since you posted on this forum?
Hi Tanushree, I have not heard anything from DHA, other than that my application is under active consideration

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am an Indian citizen planning to pursue a PhD in Australia. I was accepted into the postgraduate research program with a full financial scholarship, and the program was supposed to commence in June 2021. I lodged the student visa application on 17 April 2021, following which I was asked by the DHA for more information (Forms 80 & 1221, details of intended research and immigration health checks) on 04 May 2021. Due to the second wave of Covid-19 in my country, it took some time for me to get the immigration health exam, forcing me to defer my PhD to the next term (which was due to commence in September 2021). By the end of June 2021, I had provided all the information requested by the DHA (including immigration health checks), and had uploaded the new CoE and OSHC policy certificate along with a 'Notification of change in circumstances' form detailing the updated CoE code, course dates and OSHC policy dates.

The application was last updated on 06 July 2021, when its status changed to 'Further Assessment'. Since then I have not heard anything from the DHA or my case officer. Due to the continued delay in visa processing, I had to defer my course twice more; I uploaded the new CoE and OSHC along with the 'Notification of change in circumstances' form both times, with the latest CoE uploaded last week for the term starting in June 2022. I was reminded by the university that this is the last time I can defer my admission - if I am unable to enroll in the term starting from June 2022, my admission will be withdrawn.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me regarding my application. This is not the first time I have applied for an Australian visa, my previous Temporary Work Visa and Student Visa (Non-award sector), were both granted within a month, though this was before the pandemic in 2019. What could be the reason for this massive delay? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process?
Hi Komal,
Hi Tanushree,
I have been undergoing the same situation. I am accepted as a PhD student in Monash University and lodged my application in December 2021. My medical was updated in January 2022. One time I already changed the commencement date which was in April 2022. My new commencement date is in July. In the meantime, after putting an enquiry I received a reply from the embassy sating' the application is under internal processing' one week back. I don't know what it means in terms of how much more time it will take to finalise the application. In this six months I have suffered depression and anxiety and already losing hope to pursue my PhD from the Australian University. I don't know if applied via an agent the outcome would be different or not? Have you talked to any agent or consultant ? Also I wish to ask you have you ever waited until the very last day to change your commencement date? Like, if it is in 18th, you have waited till 17th.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m sorry to hear about that. I have received similar responses saying that my application is under active consideration too. I assume there is nothing we can do but wait.
[
Have you received your visa, Tanushree?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Have you received your visa, Komal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts