Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My situation is a little bit complex and long to explain (thank you for reading).

I applied for a partner visa 820 in April 2017, got on a bridging visa A. My partner is PR. I traveled to Argentina in December 2017, got a bridging visa B for this, and came back.
I got pregnant in April 2018 and started all my doctor appointments in Australia. So far, so good.
I then traveled again to Argentina in August 2018 because I wanted to see my family before the birth. In my mind, I thought that the change to a bridging visa type B was permanent. But indeed, it was not, which I found out at the airport when they wouldn't let me get on the plain to go back due to my 'expired' visa and suddenly not holding any visa at all!

Yes, my bad, my mistake. I was told from immigration to apply for a visitor visa 600, that would allow me to stay 3 months and then I would return to my bridging visa like before. So, that's what I'm doing now, stating I am pregnant and my situation of needing to go back to my life in Australia and to my partner. I did blood and urine test but doctor doesn't recommend chest x-rays... I'm thinking of doing it anyway, because I read that they would not consider my application until I give them the x-rays and I don't want to wait until after the birth to get this visitor visa. I want to be with my partner and give birth in Australia, I've got my life there and the burocracy doesn't seem to consider this at all and I can't find a way of talking to an actual human being that could consider my specific situation. I am not a 'pregnant tourist' wanting to give birth in Australia. I'm really frustrated by the way in which such a small thing had such huge consequences in my life...

Has anybody been in a similar situation? Was your visitor visa granted and then did you go back to your bridging visa? Did you have no choice but to do the chest x-rays, even though it might put your baby in danger?
Please, any comments would be so appreciated. This is such a stressful situation for me and I feel trapped in a silly system.

Thank you,
Denise

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wouldn’t your previous BVB grant have a validity period mentioned in it?

I will say what countless others have in the past - Read your entire visa grant, don’t stop after you read “Granted”.

That said, I don’t know what advise I can personally give you other than to always read and look for validity dates on all grants. The onus is on the visa holder.

I strongly recommend you pay for a consult and speak with a RMA based in Australia as your partner visa application may be in jeopardy.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Wouldn't your previous BVB grant have a validity period mentioned in it?

I will say what countless others have in the past - Read your entire visa grant, don't stop after you read "Granted".
I tell all my clients to PRINT OUT their visa grant letters, read them properly, highlight expiry dates, travel restrictions and visa conditions and keep a copy in a safe place. Not sure if anyone listens, but have had no dramas with bridging visas so far. It is very easy to miss important information when reading a form on a computer, let alone on some hand held device or smart phone.

The problem with the tourist visa is that, under the circumstances, you simply cannot meet "Genuine Visitor" requirements, so you will rely on the discretion of the case officer. I know people have come back successfully on ETA's or tourist visas under similar circumstances, but I know of many more who have had multiple applications refused and are basically stuck overseas.

I strongly advise your Australia partner to contact his local MP to see if they will assist with lodging a tourist visa application.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Each to their own, but I've read multiple places that the baby is actually exposed to way more radiation on an overseas flight than they would get with the mother having a chest xray. If I were in a similar situation I'd probably do it, knowing that. But that's a decision each mother has to make for themselves.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Mum gets:

0.003mSv/hr on a flight.

0.1mSv In a PA Lat x-ray.

2mSv per year just wandering around.

200mSv for birth defect or miscarige.

Satter to the child minimal I agree. Still wouldn't be asking for an unrequired xray whilst pregnant, if it was medically indicated then it becomes easier to fathom.

Cancer ain't a nice thing and even small doses have been linked.

One for the radiographer to discuss I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,
Here's an update on how this went.

My doctor didn't approve for the x rays, and I talked to an immigration agent who told me he didn't think the Immi Department would reject 600e visa application on grounds of not having the x ray because I'm pregnant. So I decided to send my health examination results without the x rays (this was Thursday 13th September).

On Monday 17th September, I received my visa grant notification! They gave me a Tourist FA 600 visa, which "can be considered for shorter stay periods to facilitate re-entry and allow for applicants to obtain a further Bridging Visa A in association with their onshore application"

So, basically, they are giving me 2 weeks on the tourist visa starting in the date of arrival, and then I need to lodge a Bridging Visa A application as soon as I arrive in Australia.

I am really glad that they considered my specific situation and that there's actually a way to return to a bridging visa after losing it by travelling.

Hope this is helpful for somebody.
Denise

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Great news, Denise. Well done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.