Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
The PAM are a DIAC document and not even sure if immigration agents get access but you could try asking one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know how normal folk can access the DIAC Procedures Manual from overseas and without paying huge amounts of cash???
I think your best bet is to contact one of the state libraries and see if they will give you access or at least access the information for you. I managed to get a friend of mine who works at one of the universities to access it for me (not that it was particularly helpful).

I'd try the National Library of Australia - you can email them a request: Ask a librarian | National Library of Australia

Both the VIC and NSW state libraries have online access to LEGENDcom - you might be able to sweet-talk them into giving you access:

Login

State Library of New South Wales /Catalogue

It's very annoying that there is no public online access to it for visa applicants who are outside Australia - so much for it being public information when it's extremely difficult and/or expensive to get access to!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I think your best bet is to contact one of the state libraries and see if they will give you access or at least access the information for you. I managed to get a friend of mine who works at one of the universities to access it for me (not that it was particularly helpful).

I'd try the National Library of Australia - you can email them a request: Ask a librarian | National Library of Australia

Both the VIC and NSW state libraries have online access to LEGENDcom - you might be able to sweet-talk them into giving you access:

Login

State Library of New South Wales /Catalogue

It's very annoying that there is no public online access to it for visa applicants who are outside Australia - so much for it being public information when it's extremely difficult and/or expensive to get access to!
By saying the PAM is a DIAC document, I mean for DIAC personnel to use as a kind of an abridged version of legislation which is as you have indicated is available online.
Essentially, the Immi regulations online are generally sufficient for people to assess what the situation is for them in regard to immigration and most people even have trouble understanding those.
You put additional information out there and you'll have Immi needing a lot more staff to field even more questions from all those that feel they are now an expert because they are armed with a PAM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
By saying the PAM is a DIAC document, I mean for DIAC personnel to use as a kind of an abridged version of legislation which is as you have indicated is available online.
Essentially, the Immi regulations online are generally sufficient for people to assess what the situation is for them in regard to immigration and most people even have trouble understanding those.
You put additional information out there and you'll have Immi needing a lot more staff to field even more questions from all those that feel they are now an expert because they are armed with a PAM.
Possibly it would result in more questions to DIAC or maybe less - if people could access the information themselves, they might not need to ask! Besides, the PAM is publicly available now to anyone in Australia who cares to go to their state library and look it up. Having seen it, I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to want to wade through it all just for fun! :)

You're right that the immigration information available on DIAC's website is sufficient for most people but for those of us who have applied offshore and had a refusal and are preparing to go to the MRT, it is very useful to know exactly what interpretation of the policy was used to come to the refusal decision. Unfortunately the refusal letter does not provide this information so having access to the PAM is almost a necessity. Being offshore means we can't just go to the library to access it and, really, purchasing a subscription is the only option.

It does fall under the FOI act and anyone can purchase a subscription if they are willing to pay upwards of $1230 - that just seems exorbitant to me, considering it is information that is supposed to be "free". I can understand a small fee being charged for administrative costs but that amount just seems excessive when all that's involved is setting up a user account!

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth - as it is publicly available in Australian libraries it would be very helpful to have it publicly available to people outside Australia too, particularly people who are affected by the policy interpretations within it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all.

It seems that the easiest way for me to access PAM is to ask a friend to research for me at the State Library... Not a very efficient way of doing things, but I would rather save $1230 and put it towards a potential MRT review than to waste it on what should be a freely accessible document!

To date, this website is proving to be immensely helpful, probably much more than the PAM will be...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.